Forum Index > Gear Talk > Post fire sleeping bags
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kvpair

kvpair
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 2:17 pm 
Hi all, We had a fire at our home over Labor Day 2020 which pretty much destroyed our home and almost all of our stuff including our sleeping bags. Off the top of my head, here are the bags we had: (1) MH Ultralamina 0 (2) REI Magma 15 (3) North Face Cats Meow 20 (4) Eastern Mountain Sports 25 degree down. No idea what the name of the bag is any more. I will need to replace these and am considering getting 2 copies of the Magma (for son & me, since wife doesn't backpack). Will love suggestions or alternatives from the collective. PS: My tents didn't go up but they are so smoke damaged that they will have to be pitched too, but that's another thread.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnManic

MtnManic
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 8:01 pm 
I have a couple of spare tents I can give away/loan - supposedly 2 person, meaning comfortable for 1 - and an older Eureka winter-tight tent that does sleep 2. Work in Redmond, live in Kirkland if you'd like to arrange to take a look. Yeah - I "collect" tents in the sense that I upgrade.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 9:47 pm 
I'm super sorry to hear about your house. bawl.gif That's got to be hard in so many ways. It's really hard to beat the value of that REI magma bag if you're looking for a mummy bag. Have you considered a quilt? I'm really happy with my Enlightened Equipment Revelation. You can get it fully customized with thickness and color of material, length, width, temp rating, down fill power etc... Definitely worth looking into.

Downhill

Downhill
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 10:07 pm 
Very sorry for your loss. I hope that you and your family are able to recover your "normal" life soon. As for bag recommendations, how will these get used most often? For example, do you want a bag for use in the Cascades from the peak tops to the valley floors from April to November? Or summer months only? Do you need 4-season bag or something to take to the Alaska Range? For example, I use a Marmot Helium for late autumn, winter, and early spring when the nights will be below freezing. The rest of the year, in the Cascades I carry just a 1-pound half-bag to accompany my "puffy" jacket. It would be helpful to know how you plan to use your bags.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Sep 26, 2020 6:41 am 
FWIW: I use a hybrid system consisting of multiple layers. 1) Puffy jacket with hood 2) "45 degree" hoodless sleeping bag used as a quilt. 3) Puffy pants 4) "30 degree" down quilt 5) Down booties. How many items I bring depends on the weather forecast for the up coming trip. One aspect of this setup I appreciate is that it makes hanging out in camp in the evening, midnight biobreaks and getting up in the morning considerably more comfortable.

kvpair

kvpair
PostMon Sep 28, 2020 7:13 am 
MtnManic wrote:
I have a couple of spare tents I can give away/loan - supposedly 2 person, meaning comfortable for 1 - and an older Eureka winter-tight tent that does sleep 2. Work in Redmond, live in Kirkland if you'd like to arrange to take a look.
@MtnManic: Thanks so much for the offer! During this time we have been helped so much by our community and people like you. Once we have found a rental home, I'll be back in touch. Insurance will replace everything and pay the difference between depreciated value and replacement cost. Like you, it is (n+1) for me in terms of tents so my wife appreciates having some of them gone - just don't understand this smile.gif

kvpair

kvpair
PostMon Sep 28, 2020 7:21 am 
I'm a late spring to early fall high camping guy nowadays. Rarely camp below 20F now. In terms of bag usage and other stuff to be replaced, here is my current thinking: (1) Pad: One of the Thermarest NeoAir Xlite OR Nemo Tensor OR S2S Ultralight Insulated (2) Tent: Switch from the BA Copper Spur UL2 OR Nemo Dagger 2P. I currently have the BA Copper Spur UL2 Sorry for not responding earlier. It has been kind of crazy the last couple of weeks, trying to replace essentials.

MtnManic

MtnManic
PostMon Sep 28, 2020 5:56 pm 
kvpair wrote:
Insurance will replace everything and pay the difference between depreciated value and replacement cost
I work in insurance (not in claims) and suggest trying to dig up any photos you can - taken at home, on the trail, etc. With such a big loss (so very sorry to hear of it), you won't remember to claim everything you lost. Sometime in the future, you will reach for (whatever - a stapler, mountain glasses, or slotted spoon - something relatively minor in the scheme of things) and if you are in that stage, hit the "damn insurance company hasn't helped me replace everything" stage of anger. Perfectly normal, I assure you. Oh, I also have a thermarest or maybe two - I replaced them with a down synmat (XMAS present). Take care of yourself and family.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
kvpair

kvpair
PostMon Sep 28, 2020 7:00 pm 
MtnManic wrote:
With such a big loss (so very sorry to hear of it), you won't remember to claim everything you lost. Sometime in the future, you will reach for (whatever - a stapler, mountain glasses, or slotted spoon - something relatively minor in the scheme of things)
Yeah, you are probably correct. In terms of backpacking stuff, most of it was in the garage and so was smoke damaged and not fire damaged. So I have a pretty good idea there. What died were the sleeping bags and pads. We've been doing the "walk into a room" visualization exercise. And did I mention that we were burgled the night after the fire? My faith in humanity is affirmed!

Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 7:57 pm 
Wow..stay well..and the best and the worst in people just showed up in this post. Take care.

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams