Forum Index > Trip Reports > Osceola NW Ridge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
stoked

stoked
PostWed Oct 21, 2009 5:36 am 
Just a couple of shots from a trip to Shellrock Pass in 2008. On the way back I decided to check out the trail to Point Defiance. It's a decent trail but a sign says "trail abandoned". Not sure why. I thought about climbing the NW ridge of Osceola and descending by the standard route back to camp at Freds Lake but I was short on time. To rectify the problem I went back last June in 2009 on a four day excursion. We climbed the NW ridge. It's an interesting climb by the beautiful ridge which stretches a long way north to Pleasant Valley, which is where we placed our camp.
From Point Defiance trail
A closeup shot shows the Berk Creek slabs on the right side of the summit. We traversed the slabs before cutting up to the ridge proper. The climb is Class 3 at most.
I actually didn't have a guidebook to the area until last month. We've just been poking around sussing out trails and routes and climbing a few mountains as the opportunity arises. Just curious as to why the Point Defiance trail is abandoned? Lots of people go to Freds Lake but if you like solitude Pleasant Valley is the place to go.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Sep 25, 2020 6:48 pm 
stoked wrote:
Just curious as to why the Point Defiance trail is abandoned?
It was a through route to the former Pt. Defiance lookout. By "through" I mean that there was also a trail from the lookout to the three forks of the Pasayten. The latter has been destroyed by 1087 fallen trees from the most recent wildfire.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue Sep 29, 2020 7:53 pm 
That sounds like a fun loop! I really enjoyed Osceola's summit a two years ago via Lake Doris (Fred Lakes)! Thank for the report!