Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fun Story: 'Those poor diseased pine trees'
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Oct 05, 2020 9:41 am 
We're nearing that time of year when somebody is supposed to be putting together the "Teeth of the Larch" (or, as I dubbed it once about 10 years ago, "Fangs of the Tamarack") campout of NW Hikers. I was up on Taneum Ridge several days ago and on Sunday took a little grouse hunting hike up an old trail on top of Teanaway Ridge and saw just the early signs of larch/tamarack needles beginning to yellow. From now through probably the end of this month BE SURE TO TAKE A CAMERA ALONG on your hikes because fall colors, especially on the east slope, are going to be magnificent! Saturday I was cruising Facebook and spotted a message from some pour soul lamenting all of the sick pine trees turning yellow and just about spit hot cocoa all over the keyboard. wink.gif rolleyes.gif This raises the question: How many of you have encountered someone (apparently new to the region) who gets rattled at all of the "sick trees," only to be reminded by you or one of your pals that, "No, that's actually what they're SUPPOSED to be doing this time of year" ??? BTW: If you've never been on the old trail across the top of Teanaway Ridge, or the Taneum Ridge trail that takes off from the Taneum campground, you really ought to do it while weather permits. This time of year, you'll probably run into a hunter or two, so remember to be as quiet as possible, but DO be prepared to take some incredible photos. From Teanaway you can easily take images of the Stuarts, and make your way over to the lookout. You might even run into a few deer up there.
Mt. Stuart from the ridge top
Mt. Stuart from the ridge top

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostMon Oct 05, 2020 11:15 am 
Dave Workman wrote:
Saturday I was cruising Facebook and spotted a message from some pour soul lamenting
Monday I was cruising nwhikers and spotted some poor soul lamenting Facebook...

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 05, 2020 11:29 am 
Years ago, a newcomer to Twisp was complaining about how heavy the firewood rounds were from the snags he cut that winter. Yup.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Oct 05, 2020 11:32 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Years ago, a newcomer to Twisp was complaining about how heavy the firewood rounds were from the snags he cut that winter. Yup.
lol.gif doh.gif biggrin.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostMon Oct 05, 2020 1:27 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
True story! I knew the guilty party. I could never figure out how he didnt know about tamarack - he壇 spent a lot of time in Minnesota, etc. (Although, to be fair - I know more than one person this has happened to!)

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Oct 05, 2020 2:26 pm 
I think it's kinda nice when people make that mistake, and others like it - as in someone advising the larches are turning in Monte Cristo (Hemlock yellowing). I remember me, years ago, asking on this site about the "columny rock" along Canyon River Road. Never saw it before. MtnGoat was very kind with his answer to me. No one laughed, at least they didn't laugh at me here. They probably had a secret social just for the purpose.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostMon Oct 05, 2020 5:51 pm 
Kim wrote:
"columny rock"
If you are referring to "columnar basalt" formations, some of the most spectacular are: Along the lower end of the Tieton River (just above its confluence with the Naches River) along US Hwy 12 A little ways up the Bear Canyon Trail just opposite the formations along the Tieton on US Hwy 12. About a half mile up Blue Lake Hiker Trail #274 just south of Randle. The "Palisades" lookout point at Mt. Rainier National Park between Longmire and Paradise. And if you drive up the Naches River on WA 410, a few miles above Nile, there are gigantic columns down on the west bank of the river at Horseshoe Bend which make fabulous diving platforms from which you can dive into the big pool there. But since this thread is really about trees, I get a good laugh out of people who think these trees must be Birch because they're so white:
Queets River at Hartzell Creek 100220 ア 1800 cfs
Queets River at Hartzell Creek 100220 ア 1800 cfs

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostMon Oct 05, 2020 6:44 pm 
Those trees look red to me.

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostMon Oct 05, 2020 7:17 pm 
wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Oct 05, 2020 9:04 pm 
I ran into some MTBers on the Cutthroat trail who thought all the yellow evergreens were succumbing to some horrible disease.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Oct 05, 2020 10:02 pm 
Yellow trees, ho hum.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 6:16 am 
I've heard more concern in the fall about the real pines. I think some even posted on this forum. The Ponderosa Pine shed some of their needles each fall. For a while, you can see the red and yellow needles on them and that makes them look sickly. They look even sicker on a smoky day, but everything does. Whilst riding up a bit from Conconully last week, The Larch were still quite green. Those trees are at the bottom elevation for The Larch.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Oct 09, 2020 6:07 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I've heard more concern in the fall about the real pines. I think some even posted on this forum. The Ponderosa Pine shed some of their needles each fall. For a while, you can see the red and yellow needles on them and that makes them look sickly. They look even sicker on a smoky day, but everything does. Whilst riding up a bit from Conconully last week, The Larch were still quite green. Those trees are at the bottom elevation for The Larch.
See any grouse up there? wink.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 09, 2020 7:43 pm 
Nope. My Demon Dog came across a big flock of wild turkeys and it was mayhem for a little bit until I figured out what all the excitement was and beeped her back. I did come across this. Thought it was going to get my ankle when I pedaled by the first time.