Forum Index > Trail Talk > How does self-registration work if everything is closed
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
aidapsibr

aidapsibr
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 12:55 am 
Hey! I'm brand new here and to backpacking and even hiking, so apologies if I talk in circles or ask a basic question! I've been wanting to explore Carbon River area (Ipsut trail), but I didn't get my request in by 10/3. Starting 10/10, backpackers are supposed to self-register. There is a lot of confusing information on Mt Rainier Park website, especially due to covid-19 closures and possibly contradictions. It says to register at "Carbon River", but the ranger station is closed. Is self-registration at the trailheads, somewhere else, or just not a thing this off-season?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 6:19 am 
Have you tried asking the park people? https://www.nps.gov/mora/contacts.htm

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 11:48 am 
Agh, sorry you're having such issues. I am not surprised the NPS website isn't helpful; it usually isn't (in my limited NPS experience). And I doubt calling would help. The visitor centers are all closed. But you can try ! It is a confusing year for everyone for sure. Or you can bag the trip clown.gif and do Forest Service - just show up and start walking. Easy.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 12:03 pm 
Typically self-registration is available either outside the ranger station or at a trailhead. Self-registration is, of course, self-served, and meant for times when rangers aren't available, so they should have the permits accessible at all times. I bet if you stop at the ranger station you'll see what you need. If you are planning on camping at Ipsut Creek, in the campground, it's possible the permit station will be there, though I bet it will be outside the ranger station.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 9:53 am 
Hey, that rings a bell Kiliki. I did do self-registration on the coast once. Dropped my permit in the iron tube, and sent a check later, per their instructions. (they don't want money dropped at that location, perhaps they allow payment at other locations).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Oct 13, 2020 1:06 pm 
Hey aidapsibr--are you still here? I am wondering if this is the person missing at Mt Rainier. He is a colleague of a friend and was camping at Ipsut on Friday night, with the intention of heading to Seattle Park. I know he has only lived here 6 weeks. https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/uw-professor-goes-missing-sam-dubal/281-164bd4ff-111e-49d4-8650-4f18306ebaa8?ref=exit-recirc