Forum Index > Photography Talk > Camera Recommendations?
Previous :: Next Topic  
Fletcher

Fletcher

PostSun May 17, 2020 10:38 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Im looking at getting a new camera. I have been using a Canon PowerShot SX620 HS for years now. It takes decent photos and is adequate in that regard but I have gotten more into making video edits of my trips and the video quality leaves A LOT to be desired. What are some cameras I should look into buying that take nice photos in the alpine but also give me MUCH better video quality?
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight

coated in DEET
PostSun May 17, 2020 12:40 pm 
Your existing camera has a 1/2.3 sensor size, and a 25mm-450mm equivalent lens
A larger sensor will have less noise, all modern cameras are better than your 1920 x 1080 (30p) video.

If you want to stick with a point and shoot, any of these are good options

With APS-C sensors

Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III (24mm - 72mm)

Fujifilm X100V ( 35 mm fixed)

With m4/3 sensor

Panasonic Lumix DC-LX100 II (24mm - 75 mm)

With 1 sensor

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VII ( 24mm-200mm)

--------------
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...  ― Henry David Thoreau
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
awilsondc

awilsondc

PostMon May 18, 2020 8:42 pm 
I would think a Sony RX100 would suit your purposes nicely.  An older model, or a used one would save you some money.  It's a great little camera.
Opus
Wannabe

Opus

Wannabe
PostTue May 19, 2020 6:38 am 
I bought a used Sony RX100m6 last fall for times when I don't feel like bringing my mirrorless setup. I've been very impressed with the image quality. So much that it's become my main camera. I don't take many videos but the few I have turned out very good. Nice and sharp, image stabilization is effective, smooth zoom through the whole range.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
pcg

pcg

PostWed May 20, 2020 1:30 pm 
I second the Sony RX100, but offer a word of caution. I'm on my third M6 version. Bought the first one used on eBay for $750. Somehow managed to put a very small dent in the lens cover, which prevented the lens from opening all the way. It was deemed non-repairable by Sony, but they offered me a brand new one with one-year warranty for $375. I bought that and then, acknowledging that I was rough on cameras I bought a three-year accident insurance and extended warranty for $150 when they pushed it to me via email a month later. Two weeks after purchasing the policy I dropped the camera, with lens cover closed, face down from just six inches into fine dusty sand. Despite my best efforts at cleaning, it wouldn't open/close properly. I sent it off to Sony (mid-COVUS shutdown) and they promptly cleaned it and returned it, no charge, in a little over a week after I shipped it.

So... it takes amazing pictures (very sharp lens), it fits in the hip belt pocket of my HMG pack, and Sony has great customer support, but... be careful with it. If I had to I would buy another in a heartbeat.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Opus
Wannabe

Opus

Wannabe
PostSun May 24, 2020 7:15 am 
Yes, I agree it does seem like a fragile camera. Lots of small moving parts crammed into a small body. I always carry my cameras in dedicated pouches attached to the chest strap on my packs. Also gets tucked away inside my pack if it starts raining.

I added the adhesive grip to the front and it really makes the camera easier to hold onto. Really should be a part of the camera to begin with.
neek

neek

PostSun May 24, 2020 9:53 am 
The rx100 (first version) was my favorite small camera but mine broke after 5 years (seems to be a problem with the electronics).  If I ever run across another broken one I might try swapping some pieces around.
Yashiton

Yashiton

PostWed Oct 07, 2020 10:06 am 
If price is truly not critical, get a Linhof Technika, (like David Muench and many other major landscape photographers). It can be used hand-held if you want/need to so that a tripod is not an absolute necessity. It has tripple extension bellows for Macro work, and is incredibly rugged.

--------------
Evan
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight

coated in DEET
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 11:05 am 
Yashiton wrote:
If price is truly not critical, get a Linhof Technika, (like David Muench and many other major landscape photographers). It can be used hand-held if you want/need to so that a tripod is not an absolute necessity. It has tripple extension bellows for Macro work, and is incredibly rugged.

The original poster was looking for a point and shoot.

A $8,500, 6 pound very large format film camera is not really on many peoples wish list.

One could pickup a full frame Canon R5, Nikon Z7 or Sony A9 and a several lens for a fraction of that cost.

--------------
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...  ― Henry David Thoreau
pula58

pula58

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 12:03 pm 
Canon G5X II is a nice alternative to the Sony RX-100 series.
Canon has a fully functional touch screen, well organized menu's, and the photos are good.
Also, it is easier to hold than the Sony (The Canon has a nice grip).

some of my photos using this camera:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4521649

Good luck in your search!
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Photography Talk > Camera Recommendations?
  Happy Birthday glenoid!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: