Forum Index > Trail Talk > Slime mold presentation tonight
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch

Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 11:29 am 
I stumbled across this and thought others here might have an interest in it. It is tonight at 7:00. Slime mold presentation by Washington native plant society

Here on this mountaintop...Woahoho...I got some wild, wild life - Talking Heads
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 8:05 pm 
Goats Know wrote:
I stumbled across this and thought others here might have an interest in it. It is tonight at 7:00. Slime mold presentation by Washington native plant society
That was interesting, I knew nothing about this before, now know a little bit, so that's an improvement. Thanks for the link.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch

Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 10:31 am 
Yeah, I thought it was a good presentation. I didn't know much about slime molds before this either. After the presentation I went out to the Facebook page for Slime mold aficionados and looked at all the pictures. Boy, there are some folks out there that are passionate about slime mold! Now I have one more thing to watch for, while I am out walking around in the woods.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 11:14 am 
slimy Valentine...

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 11:16 am 
I first learned of the existence of slime molds in a college math class, where the prof showed how slime mold growth can be modeled surprisingly closely using differential equations.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Oct 09, 2020 5:52 pm 
I missed this. It bugs me that even though they say it was recorded they don't provide a way to view the webinar after the fact. But still, it's great that there's interest in something like this. I saw my best ever specimen of slime mold on the Cave Ridge trail up from Commonwealth this last summer
Cave Ridge
Cave Ridge

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Oct 09, 2020 8:19 pm 
If only someone around here would write an article about slime molds!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch

Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch
PostSat Oct 10, 2020 11:15 am 
Kim, Funny, I found your article on line the day after the presentation. The article and the photos are excellent! Check it out people. It's good: Kim's article My wife and I also watched the new PBS Nova program on the intelligence of slime molds and that was really good. It just came out a couple of weeks ago. I'd recommend it to anyone, even if you aren't that interested in slime molds (it is just as much about "intelligence", as it is about slime mold). Nova - Secret Mind of Slime Nice Pics Coldrain and Puzzlr! I am risk of becoming the boring nerd that won't quit talking about slime mold. So I'll quit now.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Oct 10, 2020 12:37 pm 
No keep talking about slime mold! People actually do enjoy it. They just don't know they enjoy it. Yet. Have you found the recorded presenattion yet? I haven't taken the time to search for it, but it is worth another view. I recognized some names of the photographers; Ulrich Fritcze (sp) used to do a lot of photos on WTA's site.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
wolffie

wolffie
PostSat Oct 10, 2020 1:06 pm 
Hey I thought there wasn't s'pozed to be political commentary on this site.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
wolffie

wolffie
PostSat Oct 10, 2020 1:14 pm 
wolffie wrote:
by Lori McCormick, runner-up, 2010 WTA photo contest, "Offbeat Outdoors" division
by Lori McCormick, runner-up, 2010 WTA photo contest, "Offbeat Outdoors" division
This lovely photo of a slime mold by Lori McCormick ("Micro Island Paradise") won 2nd place in the 2010 WTA Photo Contest "Offbeat Outdoors" division Micro Island Paradise 2010 WTA Photo Contest only because they foolishly had that part publicly judged on Facebook. When the corgi people learned that my photo of Al Corgi on Red Mountain was being edged-out by a picture of a slime mold, they said, "We can't let Al get slimed!" and stuffed the ballot box.
I've always felt guilty about it. Not Al.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Oct 10, 2020 1:41 pm 
No offense, but I voted for that photo of slime mold to win. Unique, interesting, and it's naturally funny! It's a wonderful photo of how nature is full of humor.

nordique

nordique
PostTue Oct 13, 2020 9:23 pm 
That reminds me: I have a batch of slime mold photos--or at least what I think are slime molds: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nordique/albums/72157622441905844 They always stop me in my tracks on a hike! My hiking friends no longer complain about all my photo stops since they too take slime mold photos! There is never a shortage of great things to see on hikes!

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 8:46 am 
nordique wrote:
There is never a shortage of great things to see on hikes!
I usually have just as many slime/fungi photos as I do mountain scenery photos from hikes. These are all from one hike up the Dosewallips last year. I am never in a hurry when I'm out in the woods, which is one of the top shelf attractions...I saunter.
The fried egg slim
The cinnabon shroom

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 5:25 pm 
Slime mold video from Science Friday "Breakthrough" series