Forum Index > Trail Talk > Early November hike
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tunnelman3

tunnelman3
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 9:21 am 
Greetings all! I'll be flying into Seattle from Alaska in early November and am looking for hiking/camping recommendations. I'll have a car and would be willing to drive 2-3 hours if needed. It's tough I know as that time of year you have to consider snow, so I'd likely lean more towards either warmer/rainy OR something east of Cascades. One other thing is that I'll have my dog with me so I'd like to stay away from hunting. Are National Parks my only option? Thanks!!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 10:12 am 
Ummmm, east of the cascades gets cold and might get snowy. A crystal ball is needed.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
kw

kw
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 12:07 pm 
Yeah, it'll be hard to really predict anything this far out, I'd advise looking for a decent amount of hikes you like, and then closer to the actual time of the hike check WTA trip reports and forecasts to see which is in the best condition.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 12:21 pm 
National Parks are your best bet to avoid hunting in early November; but by and large, dogs aren’t allowed on trails in National Parks. However, dogs are allowed in a few places in Olympic National Park. See link here. In early November, if you're amenable to USFS lands (hunting allowed) there may be several choices; hard to know this far out. Perhaps something along Lake Chelan in the Lake Chelan Recreation Area which an NRA does allow pets. Call to see if there are limitations though. Check Lady of the Lake ferry schedule and dog policy.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
uww

uww
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 12:25 pm 
Agree with narrowing it down to a few choices and making a gametime decision. Do note that most national park trails do not allow dogs. https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/pets.htm https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/pets.htm https://www.nps.gov/noca/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 1:15 pm 
Go hike on Orcas island. Turtleback mountain or the state park. November is tough to gauge this far out.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
tunnelman3

tunnelman3
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 1:30 pm 
Yes it's the million dollar question. Basically I'll stay low elevations the main thing is to try and steer clear of hunting.

tunnelman3

tunnelman3
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 1:35 pm 
I love the Chelan area. I've hiked all around that area so thanks for reminder. I hadn't considered that NP's didn't allow dogs. So back to drawing board smile.gif I'll keep it narrow and stay west of Cascades and within a couple hours of Seattle. I agree with having a handful of choices and deciding once i get there.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 3:06 pm 
Are you going for a day hike or a backpacking trip?

tunnelman3

tunnelman3
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 4:05 pm 
Would like a max 2-3 night backpack (but could easily be talked in to a car camp location with access to a few nice day hikes)...was actually thinking a river trail could be nice. Maybe Skykomish, Beckler, Suiattle?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 4:44 pm 
Suiattle Road is slated to be closed til at least next spring (wildfire). Icicle Creek might be a good choice, outside of Leavenworth. LOTS of dayhikes around there. Along N Fk Sky - who knows in early November, but that would offer nice tirps. Middle Fork Teanaway river as well. Actually all of these have good trail heads for backpacking if the weather holds in November. Just keep your dog close at all times.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 8:33 pm 
If your looking at Skykomish area go to the foss lakes. Pleanty of places to go, easy to bail out if it turns nasty. Never seen any hunters in the area. Certainly be uncrowded.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
blendergasket

blendergasket
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 10:25 pm 
Depending on the snow the East side of the olympics is in a National Forest so dog friendly. You can make a 3 day loop in the Marmot Pass/Dungeness area if it hasn't started snowing in earnest yet. Also, the Snoqualmie Middle Fork or Waptus Lake.

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 6:11 am 
tunnelman3 wrote:
Yes it's the million dollar question. Basically I'll stay low elevations the main thing is to try and steer clear of hunting.
The main hunting season is closed on Oct 31st not that you have any fear prior to that anyhow

Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 7:21 am 
Ingals creek is great..if snow isn't down..15 miles to stuart basin..can be quite lovely. After 6 miles..people disappear.

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams