Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantments Permits going to good use
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thename

thename
PostThu Oct 01, 2020 12:52 pm 
I know most people on this forum don't bother. The people who are applying for permits? They're taking 4 days of Core out of circulation only to say things like this:
Quote:
This was part of a three day trip in the Enchantments from August. I snagged core zone permits for four days, but I was struggling to stretch this trip out for even three days, since it is only 19 miles.
Or are they publishing maps that look like this?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Oct 01, 2020 1:45 pm 
Funny... The statement used by braggarts up there to start every conversation: "I usually hike at least 20 miles per day..." This was told to me by a buddy who spent some time in the core a couple of years ago. He said it was amazing how many people had to clarify that, so sad. That became the catch phrase of their trip. Every side trip or visit to the potty had to be explained this way so that no one would think they were weak for only going 200 feet for water.
thename wrote:
Or are they publishing maps that look like this?
looks like a tape worm...

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
thename

thename
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 10:50 am 
I think it's the rise in 1 day through-hike traffic: "I went to the Enchantments! Beautiful!" "Yeah, but so brutal, right?!" "Oh, first day was long but--" "Oh, you didn't do it in a day ... call me when you're a real hiker"

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 10:06 am 
I like the map, it's a cool effect. (Did you play a game called Civilization back in the day?) It would be funny if the day hikers are discouraging backpacking up there. The only reason people to it in a day is, or at least used to be, because it's so hard to get a permit. And now the running shoe is on the other foot?

Downhill

Downhill
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 10:19 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
The only reason people to it in a day is, or at least used to be, because it's so hard to get a permit.
This is the only reason I have done it in a day. I personally prefer overnight stays in the wilderness (can we even call the Enchantments "wilderness" anymore?). I like watching the sun go down, the brilliant stars and the sunrise. But the hassle of the core permits has kept me out of there, as an overnight, for decades. I have noticed a similar trend with the climbing community - the popularity of speed ascents. When I was younger and doing more climbing, I always preferred a bivy on my climbs. Some of my most memorable moments were while bivying on or near a summit. I don't get enough time in the high country - I don't want to rush the experience.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Oct 09, 2020 7:25 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
I like the map, it's a cool effect. (Did you play a game called Civilization back in the day?)
Civ 6 gets played weekly in my house. smile.gif

fyodorova

fyodorova
PostFri Oct 09, 2020 1:26 pm 
Downhill wrote:
I don't get enough time in the high country - I don't want to rush the experience.
Yes, me too! I don't feel like I have really visited a backcountry destination until I have camped there. Day hiking doesn't really do it for me. It's frustrating to drive home under a beautiful sunset and wish I could enjoy it in the mountains.