Forum Index > Trail Talk > Early November hike
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 9:06 am 
timberghost wrote:
tunnelman3 wrote:
Yes it's the million dollar question. Basically I'll stay low elevations the main thing is to try and steer clear of hunting.
The main hunting season is closed on Oct 31st not that you have any fear prior to that anyhow
There's something called Late General Buck Season; not sure what-all that is, but an extension of General Buck Season...?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 9:48 am 
Quote:
The main hunting season is closed on Oct 31st not that you have any fear prior to that anyhow
Bear hunting season goes through Nov. 15th. Twice bear hunters have told me they almost shot my dog (different dogs, neither would be mistaken for bears by reasonable people). Both times I was backpacking on-trail (and met the hunters on-trail) in well-known "classic hike" areas.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 10:03 am 
timberghost wrote:
tunnelman3 wrote:
Yes it's the million dollar question. Basically I'll stay low elevations the main thing is to try and steer clear of hunting.
Elk rifle season is usually in November. I fear elk season more than deer season. It seems crazier to me, maybe because the first snowfall is usually around the same time. https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/summary-of-seasons/elk Also, November is a dark and stormy month.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
tunnelman3

tunnelman3
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 10:23 am 
Thank you Kim for these options. It's very much appreciated

tunnelman3

tunnelman3
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 10:26 am 
Thanks everyone for the input (keep them coming!). I really do appreciate the time.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 3:28 pm 
Wearing orange is good advice. Both my dogs and I started doing that after my two incidents and also because of the infamous Sauk Mountain incident, where a teenager mistook a grandma for a bear. https://www.heraldnet.com/news/teen-found-guilty-in-sauk-mountain-shooting-trial/

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 7:08 pm 
Special permits Nov 1-20 are very limited. Unless you hike in the clockum lower teanaway elk hunters are sparse. If your worried about being shot you have a better chance of that happening in downtown Seattle. Or shouldn't be out there in the first place. Surprising coming from a person in AK where the population of hunters is highest. Getting shot by a hunter is the least of my worries. IMO

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 8:20 pm 
Sky Hiker wrote:
Surprising coming from a person in AK where the population of hunters is highest.
Well then, I guess you have some pondering to do for your evening's entertainment.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Oct 09, 2020 5:42 am 
confused.gif

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Oct 21, 2020 10:09 pm 
Accu-weather com has got pinpoint, down to the hour forecasts lookin' 90 days out!! So with this technology you can book trips and commit to hikes way in advance knowin just what the weather is gonna do all day. For example cle elum. Ya got a 57% chance of precip and high of 36 degrees on December 19. Fourcasts you can re-ly on!