Forum Index > Trail Talk > Early November hike
Previous :: Next Topic  
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 9:06 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
timberghost wrote:
tunnelman3 wrote:
Yes it's the million dollar question. Basically I'll stay low elevations the main thing is to try and steer clear of hunting.

The main hunting season is closed on Oct 31st not that you have any fear prior to that anyhow

There's something called Late General Buck Season; not sure what-all that is, but an extension of General Buck Season...?

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
kiliki

kiliki

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 9:48 am 
Quote:
The main hunting season is closed on Oct 31st not that you have any fear prior to that anyhow

Bear hunting season goes through Nov. 15th. Twice bear hunters have told me they almost shot my dog (different dogs, neither would be mistaken for bears by reasonable people). Both times I was backpacking on-trail (and met the hunters on-trail) in well-known "classic hike" areas.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 08, 2020 10:03 am 
timberghost wrote:
tunnelman3 wrote:
Yes it's the million dollar question. Basically I'll stay low elevations the main thing is to try and steer clear of hunting.

Elk rifle season is usually in November.   I fear elk season more than deer season.  It seems crazier to me, maybe because the first snowfall is usually around the same time.   
https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/summary-of-seasons/elk
Also, November is a dark and stormy month.

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
tunnelman3

tunnelman3

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 10:23 am 
Thank you Kim for these options. It's very much appreciated
tunnelman3

tunnelman3

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 10:26 am 
Thanks everyone for the input (keep them coming!). I really do appreciate the time.
seahuskies

seahuskies

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 2:48 pm 
Quote:
There's something called Late General Buck Season; not sure what-all that is, but an extension of General Buck Season...?

This is timed to happen around the rut. It's a short season but often the best opportunity to get a buck since they tend to be a bit more careless while looking to mate.

Quote:
Bear hunting season goes through Nov. 15th. Twice bear hunters have told me they almost shot my dog (different dogs, neither would be mistaken for bears by reasonable people). Both times I was backpacking on-trail (and met the hunters on-trail) in well-known "classic hike" areas.

I'm very sorry you had that experience, no one who is responsible should almost be shooting anything unless they are sure it's a legal animal and is safe to do.

I am a hunter / backpacker / photographer / dog lover and I did warn someone on the trail this last weekend (also on a very "classic hike") that their dog looked very similar to a bear and I recommended she put some orange on it. I was not hunting at the time, just backpacking, but I was concerned for the dog's safety. This was at 30 yards and in the brush, it was easy to mistake it until you stopped and took a closer look. Things get more difficult at 200-300 yards, especially in the early hours when the light is not a strong. I would never shoot something without 100% confidence that it is a legal animal and there are no person(s) behind it but unfortunately not everyone is like that. As an example, I would never even put my rifle scope on the animal until I had verification it's a legal animal via my harmless binoculars (Universal firearm rules 2, 3 and 4).

For context, I consider myself a responsible hunter, I follow all hunting rules, report anything illegal, and am the type of person to haul out and pick up trash when I see it year round. I only hunt a few weeks out of the year and spend the rest of the year backpacking and doing landscape photography.

Unfortunately, not everyone is like myself. When it comes to poachers or maybe a young inexperienced hunter (separated from an adult perhaps) that is a bit too trigger happy, they will shoot and ask questions later. They don't care if it looks like a dog or it's a bear with cubs or something illegal. So my advice is to just err on the side of caution and put some orange on the human and doggo at this time of year since not all people out there have the best intentions.
kiliki

kiliki

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 3:28 pm 
Wearing orange is good advice. Both my dogs and I started doing that after my two incidents and also because of the infamous Sauk Mountain incident, where a teenager mistook a grandma for a bear.

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/teen-found-guilty-in-sauk-mountain-shooting-trial/
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 7:08 pm 
Special permits Nov 1-20 are very limited. Unless you hike in the clockum lower teanaway elk hunters are sparse. If your worried about being shot you have a better chance of that happening in downtown Seattle. Or shouldn't be out there in the first place. Surprising coming from a person in AK where the population of hunters is highest. Getting shot by a hunter is the least of my worries. IMO
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 8:20 pm 
Sky Hiker wrote:
Surprising coming from a person in AK where the population of hunters is highest.

Well then, I guess you have some pondering to do for your evening's entertainment.

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
timberghost

timberghost

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 5:42 am 
confused.gif
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon

PostWed Oct 21, 2020 10:09 pm 
Accu-weather com has got pinpoint, down to the hour forecasts lookin' 90 days out!! So with this technology you can book trips and commit to hikes way in advance knowin just what the weather is gonna do all day.

For example cle elum. Ya got a 57% chance of precip and high of 36 degrees on December 19. Fourcasts you can re-ly on!

--------------
YOU NEVER KNOW!!
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Early November hike
  Happy Birthday Malachai Constant, Get Out and Go, sequimjack!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: