Forum Index > Trail Talk > 3 people die in 6 days from climbing and hiking accidents in New Hampshire mountains
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
carlb328

carlb328
PostThu Oct 01, 2020 5:21 am 
It's not the NW, but it's still sad. It's amazing how many outdoor deaths and other incidents there have been in the last year or so. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/3-people-die-6-days-climbing-hiking-accidents-new-hampshire-n1241373?cid=referral_taboolafeed

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nordique

nordique
PostThu Oct 01, 2020 7:14 pm 
As a longtime hiker, skier, climber in that area, decades ago, I can testify to the high accident and fatality rates in New England--but there are a LOT of hikers and climbers in that area, so such high incident rates are not unusual. I think our local rates are lower.

Songs2

Songs2
PostThu Oct 01, 2020 8:20 pm 
Exfoliation continues in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, sometimes with unfortunate consequences for hikers, as well as climbers. Yosemite rock fall

nordique

nordique
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 1:07 pm 
I remember a couple tales of climbers on the east face of Cannon Mt, for instance, who dislodged granite slabs the size of refrigerators, by accident. Here is what that face looks like:
Looking up at the VMC Direct
Looking up at the VMC Direct
Looking up, partway up the face:
On the VMC Direct
On the VMC Direct

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 2:08 pm 
A couple of friends of mine survived a major rock fall at Niagra Creek Falls at Donnels Lake in CA. They watched boxcar sized boulders bounding over their heads. The ozone smell nearly overwhelmed them. They said they ducked in between boulders. http://www.waterfallswest.com/waterfall.php?id=niagara-creek-falls-sonora-pass-407

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.