Forum Index > Trip Reports > Red Little Giant -> Larchy Buck -> Cloudy High Pass, 10/6-8
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kenji

Kenji
PostSat Oct 10, 2020 11:40 pm 
Two years after seeing rubywrangler's TR, LGP, LCHR, Buck, HP, I and Rich finally completed the loop this week, well almost. A bit late departure and getting lost on Chiwawa Loop and a car shuttle, we left LGP TH at 11:30. After many photo and blueberry stops, we reached the pass around 3:30. Our hopeful plan was to camp above the Louis Cr Fall by 6pm. It wasn't going to happen this day, and found a sleep-able site about a mile from the fall. Up to Little Giant Pass:
At LGP:
Down to Napeequa River:
The path in the valley meanders along the river through 10' high vegetation, made me wonder how one built it without being able to see much around. Our site was not ideal for much night photos. Brief dark sky before the moon rise:
One nice thing about a bright moon is I get more sleep wink.gif
The sun light was a little slow to come because the high walls.
Larch high on Clark shoulder
Larch high on Clark shoulder
Not knowing the best way to get up, we found a path shortly past the Louis Cr fall, which avoided most of the alder by the fall.
Instead of traversing back to the fall, we pretty much went straight up on a small rib. This presented at least two near vertical veg belays, we figured Ruby probably had a better route near the fall. This steep section took us almost two hours to get up to a gentler upper slope.
Finally above the fall!
Larches everywhere!! We decided to skip the summit at this point and just enjoy this little larch forest.
More larches:
The basin was so beautiful and we were in fact too tired to safely continue another uphill and decided to camp here.
Berge Mtn ahead, camped by last larch patch
Berge Mtn ahead, camped by last larch patch
Evening walk:
Our last day started out in/out low clouds, then below for the looong hike out.
Ruby tarn
Ruby tarn
Met three hikers near High Pass, then saw nobody.
Triad Lake
Triad Lake
All the flower fields were brownish and now waiting for snow. But we really enjoyed the larch basin even very high cost of the entree, would be nice to spend a few nights. Maybe next time...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 7:26 am 
Thanks Kenji! I had my sights on a very similar trip, only I scheduled it for this weekend. Man, I blew it on the weather window. Looks like you had a great trip! up.gif up.gif

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 7:51 am 
Love seeing the fall colors on the Napeequa and above. One of my most favorite places on earth. Glad you were able to do your trip before the weather changed!

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 11:13 am 
Nice Kenji! This photo really sums up LC basin pretty well:
Kenji wrote:
I love the golden photo of Buck too. I'm guessing your route up from the Napeequa was as good as any. I've described mine to a few people and none were able to replicate it. There are a few hints in old posts on this site, but IMO having a dog to sniff out animal paths is the best strategy!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 12:03 pm 
I might have just seen the October calendar winner in here. There are some dramatically beautiful photos. From a place I've been wanting to visit for a few years now, thanks for the inspiration!

triad

triad
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 1:24 pm 
WOW incredible photos! I visited the Louis Creek headwaters at the end of August and thought it must make a terrific fall destination. Your report makes me want to go back already! We stayed climber's left of the falls and didn't have to deal with anything that steep, but did have to fight through some alder.

Shred

Shred
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 4:32 pm 
Nice one Kenji! Love all of the photos. We day tripped Buck last Sat. Here's a little video I threw together of our trip. https://vimeo.com/467171549

Kenji

Kenji
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 5:20 pm 
Shred wrote:
We day tripped Buck last Sat.
Great video, Jeff eek.gif Not sure if I could have joined you 20 yrs ago, even 30! I guess it's just a 30mi/10k' trip, conditioning for a real thing?!

Shred

Shred
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 5:33 pm 
It's not to bad with a running pack.😉 Beautiful country up there. Glad you packed a heavy camera in there to capture it!👏👍

resilient

resilient
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 7:19 pm 
Beautiful pictures Kenji. Thanks for sharing! What would your advise be for someone wanting to get to the Larch basin at the top of Louis Cr? Up from Napeequa or in and out from High Pass?

Kenji

Kenji
PostMon Oct 12, 2020 9:05 pm 
resilient wrote:
What would your advise be for someone wanting to get to the Larch basin at the top of Louis Cr? Up from Napeequa or in and out from High Pass?
We asked ourselves the same question, but are not sure which way we'd go next time. Since either approach is a day long hike assuming you are not a trail runner, it at least depends on what you enjoy more: a long steady peaceful hike, or a steep up/down plus some brush scramble. I liked the way we did, but wished for those summer flowers on the east side. But that's a seasonal thing, hard to have both flowers and larches. One thing not sure about would be going down along the Louis fall...