Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pasayten - Rampart Ridge and Nanny Goat Mtn 10/3-10/4
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Oct 05, 2020 7:19 pm 
Rampart Ridge 7941' Nanny Goat Mtn 7700' I started hiking from the Billy Goat TH a little after 7am Saturday morning with the hopes of a long day of hiking and overnighting to get out early the next day. The trail is in great shape to Eightmile Pass and all the way down to Drake Creek. Although I didn't know, it would be the last water for a long while at the creek crossing. I hiked up to Lucky pass and started the long descending trail towards Hoot Owl camp where I'd drop my overnight gear. The trail is still awesome for the entire time. After dropping my overnight gear, I kept on going down the trail and found a couple of long switchbacks where I'd leave the trail and head straight down to the Lost river. It was steep and loose walking but I made it down and found a log crossing right away. Although, it really isn't needed this time of year as the river looks like a small creek. I loaded up on water before heading up the steep slopes of Rampart Ridge.
Lost Pk and Rampart Ridge
Lost Pk and Rampart Ridge
I found some game trails that I followed before entering the long gully leading from the NE slope of Pt 7407. Lots of loose talus and steep dirt but nothing technical. Gaining the upper basin, I found some colorful larches despite the hazy conditions. I rounded Pt 7407 to get to the North saddle of Rampart. It was some fun and better rock scrambling to get to the summit. I found the summit register and had to smile as Franklin Bradshaw was the last to sign in 8 years ago. It looks as if only 4 parties have been here in the last 20 years.
Many Trails from Rampart
Many Trails from Rampart
Rampart lake with lots of larches
Rampart lake with lots of larches
Trailblazer Pk
Trailblazer Pk
Rampart Register
Rampart Register
It took me 5.5 hrs to reach the summit from the TH, much better than I had planned. I headed back down to the Lost River where I'd drink a bunch of water and load up on more before going back up to my camp at Hoot Owl. At camp, I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I could hike up Nanny Goat or relax after the long day. I chose to relax and rest a bit before having dinner. But, after dinner, I decided that the 2k gain to the summit of Nanny Goat sounded like a good idea. So, I followed the easiest terrain as the sun was setting. Whatever, I was happy making my next day easier so I could get back out the next day so I could listen to the Seahawk game on the way home. I reached the summit and found a register but could not get it open. I headed back down by headlamp slipping and tripping several times on the rocky/grassy route.
night hiking up Nanny Goat
night hiking up Nanny Goat
I reached my tent before 8pm and quickly fell asleep. I woke early the next morning and was packed up and hiking back to the TH before the sun came up
almost full moon over Lost and Rampart
almost full moon over Lost and Rampart
The hike out was nice despite being out of water, I could have filled back up at Drake Cr or a couple other small areas near Eightmile Pass but just kept going. I reached the TH before 9am in time enough to get radio reception near Winthrop for the 10am Seahawk game.
Eightmile Pk
Eightmile Pk
25.75 miles (18.25 day 1) 10800' elevation gain (9500' day 1) 2 days

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostMon Oct 05, 2020 10:10 pm 
Damn Eric, huge day 1!

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Oct 06, 2020 12:20 pm 
wow. day one was huge....and fast!

Art is an adventure.
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 10:50 am 
Ambition! Beauty! Solitude! rocker.gif Thirst! frown.gif

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Dansjolseth

Dansjolseth
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 12:27 pm 
Loved seeing the account of climbing Peak 7941. Cliff Lawson, Ed Lebert and I climbed that in 1981 (oops it was October 1983). We went in via Eighmile Creek and dropped down to the Lost River from Lucky Pass. As we did not leave Eightmile Creek trailhead until late in the afternoon we ended up down at the Lost River just south of the Rampart Creek drainage at dusk. We were able to ford the small Lost River and headed up the south side of Rampart Creek in the dark. It was quite brushy and I remember holding my flashlight in my mouth heading up the 3200 vertical steep and very brushy slopes in pitch dark. We arrived Rampart Lake and made camp there for the night. The next morning we climbed 7941 and headed out. I think we may have stocked Rampart Lake with fish we back packed in with. That must have been our film canister as Cliff Lawson used film canisters to record ascents.
Photos Attached.

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 12:28 pm 
Awesome trip, that was quite an effort! up.gif up.gif up.gif See any tracks? I was up in that area a bit before you. Weather was a bit more nasty for me.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 4:02 pm 
Dansjolseth wrote:
holding my flashlight in my mouth
Dan, aren't you glad and amazed how much lighting has improved since then? Remember the French 'Wonderlight', an early headlamp? We would 'wonder' how long before they failed. And film canisters! I used those for summit registers too, first the metal ones in the 1960s and later the plastics. Many of the youngsters today don't know what a film canister is. wink.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Dansjolseth

Dansjolseth
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 6:37 pm 
Spot on. I'm so lucky to have done the bulk of my exploring the Cascades and Olympics in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's an some in the 2000's. I remember many summers where we ran into ZERO people. Of course we had lousy packs, heavy boots, poor maps, no beta, non-breathable rain gear, etc. But the experience of exploring was exhilarating. Still have some great trips planned for next summer.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 7:08 pm 
Dansjolseth wrote:
I'm so lucky to have done the bulk of my exploring the Cascades and Olympics in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's an some in the 2000'
My words exactly. You and I may be slowing down, at least I am, but we have the memories. Such adventure every trip was, and no quotas, fees to climb, parking and traffic problems, NW Forest passes, or lotteries for the privilege. Also no beta other than the sometimes quirky step by step by wrong step by guess your next step or watch your step in Becky preceding his CAG. We just made it up as we went step by brushy or chossy or solid step. No FKT or Bulger list or prominence lists (don't misunderstand, people, those are worthy goals to pursue should you choose). But I believe, Dan, those were the best of times!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 7:23 pm 
nice trip. It's always great to get into the Pasayten!