Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead troubles- the nightshift strikes again
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Oct 13, 2020 2:30 pm 
Quote:
If trailhead break-ins are as regular in this as the OP suggests, why doesn't local LE do a stakeout?
I would guess because its federal land, which means you need the LE ranger for whichever NF or NP--not local cops. Isn't there only like 1 LE ranger for each ranger district in the MBSNF? I do remember a stakeout at Rainier that busted the south Pierce Co meth heads that were responsible for a lot of break ins on 410. I don't remember how many LE rangers the park has/had but it's not a ton, and even when there are chronic break ins at a certain location it's so time consuming to do a stake out, when you have the rest of your job to do too.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostTue Oct 13, 2020 7:50 pm 
Any chance of hiding the battery..u know..anywhere but the car?.. this is truly disturbing..it's so damn sad. And. Thanks 4 the information!

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Oct 13, 2020 7:59 pm 
Wait -- have any vehicles been stolen from trailheads? The OP complains of their vehicle being vandialized and stuff stolen out of it which is a pain in the ass certainly -- but a different sort of trouble than having the vehicle stolen. A friend of mine had her 1999 CRV stolen 3 times from her appartment in Alki over the course of two years. The car was recovered everytime -- but she ended up buying a 2018 RAV-4 which has a "chipped" ignition key. That far far more expensive car hasn't been stolen from the same location.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Oct 13, 2020 8:13 pm 
kiliki wrote:
...even when there are chronic break ins at a certain location it's so time consuming to do a stake out, when you have the rest of your job to do too.
There's gotta be a way. I've read various accounts over the years (including on NWH most recently) of bad guys getting busted for timber theft, trailhead break-ins, etc...a number of them on the Oly peninsula. Sounds like these guys are so active in high season they shouldn't be difficult to catch.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 10:29 am 
kiliki wrote:
Recently? I remember some people being busted for break ins on 20 a few years ago (?) but the Mazama warning to me was this year. The Lost River development has a lot of new signage about trespassing, residents and guests only, etc etc, which I imagine is due to break ins.
I'm starting to get a little older and my memory is doing this weird thing where it's hard to tell how long ago things happened ... I remember it being recent but it's like my brain stopped acknowledging that time is still going. So I googled it, Mazama Wa meth. Can't wait to see what kind of ads Google will be serving me. This isn't what I was looking for but https://methowvalleynews.com/2019/06/26/meth-seized-near-mazama/ This is what I was looking for. https://methowvalleynews.com/2018/07/06/three-arrested-in-connection-with-trailhead-vehicle-break-ins/ July 2018. Feels like it could have been this spring. I'm losing it. paranoid.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 10:33 am 
Randito wrote:
A friend of mine had her 1999 CRV stolen 3 times from her appartment in Alki over the course of two years. The car was recovered everytime -- but she ended up buying a 2018 RAV-4 which has a "chipped" ignition key. That far far more expensive car hasn't been stolen from the same location.
A friend of mine had a Honda Civic of similar vintage stolen near Dexter. Thief planned to have their car a while. He upgraded the stereo system. Caused some damage too, but I love the idea of a car thief "donating" a stereo to his victim.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 1:28 pm 
From the 2019 article Cyclopath posted:
Quote:
A patrol dog with the Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office sniffed out 186 pounds of methamphetamine, stuffed inside two suitcases in heavy brush, on June 17 in the national forest near Mazama. Sheriff’s Sgt. Gene Davis and his K-9 partner Gunner found the illegal drug while assisting federal Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) pursue a cross-border air-smuggling operation.
That's really interesting. Air smuggling and dropping in Mazama. I wonder if they are using the Lost River airport? It seems like a lot of people would notice that given that it's lined with homes. It seems like Homeland Security would notice any small plane going across the border in the NC.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostFri Feb 05, 2021 8:02 pm 
Break in at Cable Line TH this afternoon. Someone pulled in right behind us as we left. We were parked on the north side of road/parking, directly in front of a large open spot (to I-90). They were parked next to a tree area, no view from the freeway.........................Be aware.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler