Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing painter at Diablo Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 12:29 pm 
DIABLO LAKE, Wash. - A search is underway for a California man who vanished after setting up an easel for painting at a scenic spot along Diablo Lake in the North Cascades of Washington state, officials said. The missing man, identified as 35-year old Alexander Pisch of Discovery Bay, Calif., was last known to be near the Colonial Creek campground on the shore of Diablo Lake on Thursday. Pisch's white Toyota Corolla was parked along Highway 20 where he had set up an easel for painting. https://katu.com/amp/news/nation-world/man-vanishes-in-north-cascades-after-setting-up-easel-for-painting I think half the campground is open for overnight camping, with no facilities. I've done that, it gets very cold at night this time of year. Daytime weather is a toss up. It sounds like he's been missing since last Thursday, a week ago. I hope they find him in good health. Anybody heading to Hwy 20 for some snowy larches or thunderous knob, keep your eyes open.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 12:34 pm 
I'm not talking about three missing painter in this post, I'm thinking out loud. Having spent a cold night in Colonial Creek CG (zipper failed that night) this reminded me of other incidents like Nancyann saving the life of a German hiker who didn't realize how bad a winter storm can be in the mountains. Everybody in the world knows Seattle is rainy. We have a reputation, not as widely known, of having world class mountains and spectacular hiking. You can see this on nwhikers, new users occasionally sign up here to ask for advice about trips they're planning, from all over the country. Maybe we can figure out how to get the word out that winter arrives early in our mountains, and the weather can be severe. There are PCT thru hikers who could benefit from this knowledge too.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 12:59 pm 
? There's nothing ignorant about staying in a campground and painting along the shores of a big lake next to SR 20 in October.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 1:16 pm 
I don't think there's anything ignorant about it, I've done the same minus the painting. Stayed in Colonial Creek CG and got any early start on Cascade Pass which is gorgeous under fresh snow. If I make it sound like I'm judging him, it was unintentional. If you mean my second post, I was just thinking out loud and on a broader scale. For all I know he was very prepared, but took a wrong turn, maybe on the Thunder Arm, and might turn up in Stehekin. This incident and knowing how cold it gets there brought this to mind. I was mostly thinking about thru hikers when I wrote that, and anybody who might come from a warmer climate to see the larches. But I guess I didn't say all of that. Will edit.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 2:49 pm 
I was driving home from Washington Pass last Wednesday and saw this fellow with his easel set up on the side of HWY 20. It's a total mystery where he went from there. Am hoping he shows up or is found soon as the weather is not in his favor. frown.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
markweth

markweth
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 4:21 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Maybe we can figure out how to get the word out that winter arrives early in our mountains, and the weather can be severe. There are PCT thru hikers who could benefit from this knowledge too.
After that, we can figure out a way to let people know that water is wet and that hiking shoes work better when the laces are tied. And that their solar charger will work better during the day than at night! I'm sorry man, and I realize this post might get removed for violating community standards . . .but seriously? If a person can drive to a trailhead, or figure out public transportation to get there, and decided on a place to go hiking using some research and deductive reasoning then they can figure out the weather and plan accordingly. Educating the willfully ignorant is almost an impossibility. Unfortunate, as it can result in tragedy, but it's just how it is. As for PCT hikers, if they've hiked from California to Washington they're typically immune to advice because they've "already hiked 2,000 miles" and "know about weather in the mountains". At least in my experience, giving them a heads up on trail conditions, weather, or anything aside from where they can find "trail magic" is met with dismissal.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 8:41 pm 
So this was weather-related? I missed that.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 7:21 am 
the Zachster wrote:
I was driving home from Washington Pass last Wednesday and saw this fellow with his easel set up on the side of HWY 20.
Same here, coming back from a larch trip to Copper Basin. Saw a guy who looked the right age with an easel parked in a turn-out on the Skagit. Kind of makes this a bit personal... frown.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 8:36 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
So this was weather-related? I missed that.
Man, people really want to argue. I hope the guy is found alive, healthy, and not injured. I'm worried for him because of night temperatures there. If that bothers you I don't know what to say.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 11:37 am 
For whatever reason, people are admonishing those people who don't check the weather before going out, as if this man would be OK if only he had checked the weather. Last anyone saw him, he was painting a picture. Maybe it was raining and cold as he painted that picture, but that's his business. I don't know that the guy deserves admonishment for being out during a rainy cold bit of weather. I hope they find him too.

pula58

pula58
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 12:42 pm 
His car found near his easel, set up alongside the road. So, this doesn't sound like he got lost or anything like that. Very mysterious. As usual, I hope he is found, and soon, before it is too late (cold weather).

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 1:26 pm 
I'm all for providing as much info as possible to everyone, including secrit places, but there is only so much that can be done. As for the PCT hikers, I don't think they are much different than any other group of hikers. If you look at the outdoor related deaths in Washington, there is a mix across the spectrum of those who are totoally unprepared through to vastly experienced experts. The ones you hear about are the ones that get into trouble. You rarely hear about those that make good decisions. Anyway, as a part of the PCT community, I take exception to that particular characterization. As to this particular situation, I hope he is found. And our speculations about what may have happened are just that, speculation. It is likely we may never know what his decisions were unless he is found. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."