Forum Index > Trip Reports > My wife's bucket list backpacking trip - White River 10/6-7/2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 3:40 pm 
Very sorry to hear this, Lloyd... Peace be with you....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 3:51 pm 
Sorry to hear of your loss HTT, and RIP to Mrs. HTT.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 4:42 pm 
Sorry to hear. Here's to many wonderful memories to carry you through.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 6:31 pm 
HTT, I am sorry for your loss. Memory has us discussing our experiences with chemo, cisplatin and tinnitus several years back. Some indigenous people say someone "passed to the other side". I have come to value that phrase. There is something very appropriate in indicating that the narrative is still unrolling, the aura of the person who has passed is still in motion, its exact trajectory unknown. RIP Mrs. HTT

Off trail rambler
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 7:25 pm 
Eric Hansen wrote:
Some indigenous people say someone "passed to the other side".
Yeah, during my chemo and my wife's five years of different treatments I crossed paths lots of people who were terrified of dying. And several of our doctors confirmed this. They would take one more chemo to live one more week, no matter what! I may have a distorted view of things, but I never quite understood that. To me finding what's on the other side would be the next great adventure. Wow, good or bad - what a trip that would be.

pula58

pula58
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 12:40 pm 
I am so very sorry to hear of your incalculable loss. I do most of my backpacking trips with my wife. When we are out in the backcountry together we are in a shared special sacred space. Seems like it was like that for the two of you. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

gb

gb
PostSun Oct 18, 2020 6:53 am 
I am very sorry for the loss you have suffered. Though I don't know you personally, I believe we communicated about Wolverines, and I know you through many of your posts. I wish you the best. Something that comes to mind is to repeat a few/some of the best trips you have done together, and in that way to keep certain memories alive. You could revisit many times. That would take strength on your part but could also be very emotionally rewarding as well. You, I'm sure, have already thought about this.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Oct 18, 2020 10:56 am 
gb wrote:
Something that comes to mind is to repeat a few/some of the best trips you have done together, and in that way to keep certain memories alive. You could revisit many times. That would take strength on your part but could also be very emotionally rewarding as well. You, I'm sure, have already thought about this.
Thanks for the condolences and suggestion for healing. Actually, I had already started repeating some of our best trips while she was still alive but unable to get out. Some of those trips have been posted here over the years. My main plan is to spread some of her ashes at various places in the high country where we hiked. I will probably start with the Ida Lake boulder field where she threatened to divorce me unless we turned back during a trip as newly weds. Also, the spot where we camped on this trip report (her last backpacking trip). Plus numerous places in between.