Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Cross-border drug smuggling stats
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 2:42 pm 
In the Trail Talk thread on "Trailhead Troubles ... the night shift strikes again",
kiliki wrote:
From the 2019 article Cyclopath posted:
Quote:
A patrol dog with the Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office sniffed out 186 pounds of methamphetamine, stuffed inside two suitcases in heavy brush, on June 17 in the national forest near Mazama. Sheriff’s Sgt. Gene Davis and his K-9 partner Gunner found the illegal drug while assisting federal Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) pursue a cross-border air-smuggling operation.
That's really interesting. Air smuggling and dropping in Mazama. I wonder if they are using the Lost River airport? It seems like a lot of people would notice that given that it's lined with homes. It seems like Homeland Security would notice any small plane going across the border in the NC.
That reminded me of a news item I saw last August while visiting my relatives in Buffalo, NY: CBP Ports in the Buffalo Field Office See 1,000% Increase In Narcotics Seizures What this is mostly about is pot smuggling, which has gotten insane since Canada legalized it nation-wide. Last year's seizures totaled 3,400 lbs compared to over 40,000 lbs this year. eek.gif What I heard on the local TV is that it's suspected some of this supply is coming from legit growers in Canada who are diverting some of their product to the black market b/c it's so lucrative. Compared to what we're used to, it seems like a horrid waste of LE rescources. guns.gif Given the way progressive states are going and considering the rough financial shape NY state is in due to the pandemic, I predict NY will very soon move to legalize pot. You heard it here first.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 4:17 pm 
The only thing that was accomplished by the passage of the Volstead Act was the creation of a worldwide criminal enterprise. The (mostly) Sicilian street gangs who formerly availed themselves to bookmaking, prostitution, gambling, and "protection" rackets became fabulously wealthy selling alcohol. The only thing that's been accomplished by the outlawing of drugs in this country was the creation of out-of-country drug cartels and the export of trillions of American dollars to countries outside our borders. But don't expect governments to make any effective changes until they can figure out a way to get their fat greasy fingers into the pie. And this has nothing to do with "politics" per se: greed and stupidity make no distinctions between "left" and "right".

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 5:42 pm 
^^^ No argument there. On that related topic, Ken Burns's doc on Prohibition was pretty darn interesting. souse.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 5:59 am 
I do find the stink of the pot fields annoying. Dunno if you guys have to deal with it. When the wind is out of the north, we get the stink. Mix it with the fire smoke and it is very annoying. Add the orchard spray smell and...I feel sorry for the folks who had pot fields go in next to their homes. They have it much worse. I guess it's better than a paper mill or feedlot or pig farm, but it isn't pleasant. It is also scary to be walking or biking and smell so much pot smoke from cars going by. Once again, people can't seem to act responsibly. Outlawing it again would only affect the open field pot stink. The use would still continue and I like to use some of the creams for aches and pains. Maybe more places legalizing it would make growing it less profitable? I do know there were hopes that our area would become "The Napa Valley Of Pot" but that seems to have fizzled out after CA and others legalized it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 7:18 am 
One day I hope to find a duffle bag full of cash when hiking in the Pasayten. Then I'll splurge in Winthrop and stop at a fancy place to eat...

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 8:40 am 
Somebody I know read and enjoyed a book (fiction) about a drug smuggling operation* in the Pasayten. Canadians would hike across the border with loaded packs, meet their American counterparts in the middle of nowhere away from any trail, and it was a regular thing. * My phone tried to typo that as a "dog snuggling" operation. lol.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 9:35 am 
treeswarper wrote:
"...the stink..."
Unless I am mistaken, agricultural operations are exempt from regulations which concern nuisance odors.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 10:57 am 
flatsqwerl wrote:
One day I hope to find a duffel bag full of cash when hiking in the Pasayten. Then I'll splurge in Winthrop and stop at a fancy place to eat...
Something like that happened in the 70's in Yosemite, it was a smuggler plane crash into one of the lakes, still frozen. Except the plane was carrying bales of pot, not cash. Someone who worked for the FS (I think) heard about it on their radio and tipped off some of the climber cognoscenti of the day. They scurried up there, made off with what pot they could scavenge and made a bundle. Suddenly the hardscrabble, broke hippie climbers were living large in the local restaurants. It's mentioned at length in the documentary "Valley Uprising", which was on Youtube for a while. Treeswarper - I didn't know that fields of pot stink. Pot buds must exude an amazing amt of volatile oils. edit: The Dirtbags of Dope Lake

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 12:28 pm 
15-20 years ago, a hitchhiker picked up a large duffle bag in a ditch along Hwy 97, between Oroville and Tonasket. it had $600,000 in it. Okanogan County Sheriff claimed it as belonging to the Sheriff, since it was obviously a failed drug deal. The finder went to court over it, and got it all!

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 12:32 pm 
Ski wrote:
agricultural operations are exempt from regulations which concern nuisance odors
Yes, but they also are permitted by Conditional Use permits (I think that is the right term), and are subject to public hearings, etc, during that process. At least they are in Okanogan Co. You cant just start a pot farm anywhere you want to.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 2:24 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
Ski wrote:
agricultural operations are exempt from regulations which concern nuisance odors
Yes, but they also are permitted by Conditional Use permits (I think that is the right term), and are subject to public hearings, etc, during that process. At least they are in Okanogan Co. You cant just start a pot farm anywhere you want to.
Yup, the county had a few meetings and had a moratorium on pot farm development. Some folks with good connections did not like the odor from the pot growers that located next door. I lost track of the results. I do know that the existing farms are expanding and one has what seems like miles of wooden fence (boards) around and inside their acreage. Gives the area a prison look.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 3:08 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
seems like miles of wooden fence (boards) around and inside their acreage. Gives the area a prison look.
I agree...I think it looks terrible. However, I think that type of fencing is a requirement of the Permit. Strangely.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 6:59 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
seems like miles of wooden fence (boards) around and inside their acreage. Gives the area a prison look.
I agree...I think it looks terrible. However, I think that type of fencing is a requirement of the Permit. Strangely.
The board part isn't. Fencing around the farms often consists wire? chainlink? with black plastic or tarps attached to hide the view. The farm that has the boards actually resembles a stockade with cameras placed at intervals. Since they still can't legally bank their money, they've got cash to use for improvements.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 9:34 pm 
Fences make good neighbors.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 16, 2020 6:25 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Fences make good neighbors.
Ugly fences don't. I'll have to take a picture of the "stockade". I ride my bike up there frequently.