Forum Index > Trail Talk > And another missing hiker just over the border
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 7:33 am 
A hiker fails to return to their vehicle on the very popular Frosty Mountain Trail. Missing Hiker in Manning Park Is this four missing middle-aged men in the Cascades in one week? Seems unusual.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 8:17 am 
It's almost getting hard to keep track. confused.gif

Vesper Peak
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 8:41 am 
slabbyd wrote:
Is this four missing middle-aged men in the Cascades in one week? Seems unusual.
I have had 2, barely 60 years old, friends die from sudden cardiac arrest in the last 2 months, one just last weekend. Both were hardcore cyclists, the most recent one was superman on a bike, none of us had ever been able keep up with him...he passed while out riding. Seems very unusual. Maybe not in this heinous year.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
markweth

markweth
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 9:00 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
I have had 2, barely 60 years old, friends die from sudden cardiac arrest in the last 2 months, one just last weekend. Both were hardcore cyclists, the most recent one was superman on a bike, none of us had ever been able keep up with him...he passed while out riding
This happened to a family friend a few year's back -- avid cyclist, seemed to be in great health, and then one day on a ride a sudden and massive heart attacked. Seems like it could just as easily happen hiking up a steep trail. Probably not the worst way to go for the victim, but unbearably tough for the families given the uncertainty and lack of closure.

slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady
PostThu Oct 15, 2020 9:56 am 
My dad died suddenly on a trail here last year from a massive coronary event. In his case, both he and his doctor missed some warning signs, but he had been active and was overall in good health for his age. Keep up with all the preventative appointments and tests you should, even if you feel fine. The warning signs can be subtle, and I can attest that while dying on a trail might be the way he wanted to go, it was hell for his family.

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Oct 16, 2020 10:52 am 
slabbyd wrote:
A hiker fails to return to their vehicle on the very popular Frosty Mountain Trail. Missing Hiker in Manning Park Is this four missing middle-aged men in the Cascades in one week? Seems unusual.
I'm not sure if it's that weird this year. We know there have been a record number of SARs this summer, and now the weather has turned. I went hiking yesterday and the trail was incredibly slippery. In terms of it being middle aged men, it seems that young to middle aged men are overrepresented in these incidents. It would be interesting to know statistics. I know with deaths at ski areas it's something like, 87% are males 13 to 49. Unfortunately I think its going to be really bad this winter, (in terms of people missing, accidents and other incidents) based on what has happened this summer, with so many new people getting outside, or maybe also experienced people getting outside more than usual and so just been vulnerable to more accidents. The fact that ski areas are limiting crowds (so, many people that might otherwise ski in bounds will be on their own) will be a factor. I read that there has been record sales of alpine touring skis/gear.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Oct 16, 2020 1:07 pm 
Ya, there's a lot more beginner hikers than normal, who have not yet learned that mountain weather gets brutal rapidly... and now the winter storms are here. Maybe a news item warning that the weather up high is orders of magnitude worse than Seattle or even the trailhead could save some lives, because at this rate the mountains are going to chew up a bunch of new folks this winter, between the storms and the avalanches.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Oct 16, 2020 1:15 pm 
Quote:
because at this rate the mountains are going to chew up a bunch of new folks this winter, between the storms and the avalanches.
I saw a post on Facebook from someone who said they wanted to try something new, so they were going to "get really into hiking" this winter, and wanted to know what gear to buy. Replies informed them to get an avalanche beacon and shovel, take an avalanche safety class, stuff like that. Yikes.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Oct 16, 2020 1:37 pm 
Quick search of Frosty Mtn shows it's a larch trip. 13-ish miles, 3800 gain. High point about 7400'. Looks like the guy went on a hike as any of us might, hoping to see larches, or perhaps to do a hike he's heard was popular with runners; and perhaps got lost or hurt, as any of might. The article doesn't say he's inexperienced or that he made a mistake about weather.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Oct 16, 2020 2:12 pm 
I think people were following my turn of the conversation, about whether it is weird that 4 men went missing in one week, and what might happen this winter.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Oct 16, 2020 3:20 pm 
I suppose; seems the last 2 posts about a missing person have the same responses. Might as well just have one thread about newbies who don’t know anything about weather instead of posting a link to each poor hapless souls’ plight, and then ignoring him to dive right into how newbies don’t know anything about weather. Does anyone have any thing about these incidents specifically they can share? I hope this man is located and the man in the North Cascades is located. Other than hoping, I don’t. Perhaps a thread about the uptick in lost hikers might be appropriate..?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 10:06 am 
I've been out of state and checked out on news for over a week but did any of these missing hikers ever get found? Can't find any indication that they did.

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 3:24 pm 
slabbyd wrote:
I've been out of state and checked out on news for over a week but did any of these missing hikers ever get found? Can't find any indication that they did.
The Spray Park man hasn’t been found and the Mowich Lake Road was just closed for the season so I believe they are winding down the search if not already ended it.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 4:11 pm 
Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
call-151

call-151
PostWed Oct 21, 2020 3:36 pm 
Regarding the Manning Park hiker, Search was called off a couple of days ago and family set up FB group for getting volunteers to search and for consolidating information: https://www.facebook.com/groups/346287596636361 Someone found two pieces of fluff/down that could be from his jacket, and a sleeping bag(?) Down1:49.046157,-120.728732 Down2:49.038195,-120.734302 Sleeping bag: 49.03323,-120.71736 But these are way over on the Monument 78/83 trails, which doesn't make much sense to me for someone that was going up Mt. Frosty.