Forum Index > Trail Talk > Snow Geese Sightings??
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Oct 12, 2020 5:54 pm 
I have seen some skeins of Canadian geese and one far off Vic of big white birdies...either swans or snow geese. Too far to know. Anyone seen Snow Geese yet? Tom

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
camut

camut
PostTue Oct 13, 2020 2:34 pm 
Yup, they're back. Saw lots of them on Fir Island this morning.

Exmoor

Exmoor
PostTue Oct 13, 2020 9:22 pm 
Yes, some of the high-flyers were pushing through over the weekend. Most of these flocks are not "our" geese, but (I believe) Alaskan breeders flying over on their way to locations further south, perhaps even Mexico. My understanding is that "our" winter Snow Geese mostly breed in Siberia. I think some of the north sound geese have arrived, but for some reason the large flocks that hang out in the Snohomish valley don't seem to arrive until mid-October and I haven't seen them yet. Swans (mostly Trumpeters in Puget Sound) generally don't arrive in any numbers until the extreme end of October, although I have sometimes heard migrating Tundra Swans, which generally winter further south, flying over a few days before Trumpeters arrive.

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 9:55 am 
A few years back I spotted Snow Geese flying over Red Pass (Red/Lundin). It seemed they used the Middle Fork as their route over the Cascades. It was a spectacular site with several large V's! They fought through strong Easterly winds and I couldn't help but be awe of their tenacity! Since then, during the Fall, I watch for them and see them almost every year. I heard them last week while I hiked to Lodge Lake. Wasn't quite able to see them though. I've always wondered where the stop for the Winter. Cool stuff, I Think. :-)

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 11:32 am 
NowIFly wrote:
It was a spectacular site with several large V's!
When they are migrating, do you know why one side of the V is always longer than the other? biggrin.gif

SMPaul

SMPaul
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 1:27 pm 
We see formations of geese flying overhead almost every evening (Marysville)!

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Oct 16, 2020 8:55 pm 
This evening many hundreds of them have been arriving, passing, circling, and honking above the diminishing wetlands on the north side of town here in Leavenworth. I can't tell if they are going to land for the night or motor on through the night toward the west. Most likely snow geese, as I compared their sounds to those I found on-line. There is enough ambient light to illuminate their white coloring even in the dark. Pretty cool! up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Oct 17, 2020 3:34 am 
Thanks all. Saw lots off Fir Island in the bay on Oct 15 and a small V just flew overhead, very loud, in the Sat. A.m. starlight. Never seen that. Have not checked Snohomish Valley flocks yet. They are hard to watch due to narrow, high speed roads. Good to have them back. Anyone care to clue me into the daily flock movements from bay to inland fields and vice versa? Tides? Morning vs. Evening? Pure chance?? Tom

osprey

osprey
PostSat Oct 17, 2020 6:09 pm 
Saw a couple flocks flying over Lake Wenatchee this morning - looked to be heading west.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Oct 19, 2020 4:32 pm 
NowIFly wrote:
It was a spectacular site with several large V's!
The link will take you to a master's thesis on the migration of Puget Sound snow geese. On page 9 the author states "Snow geese rarely use the well-formed V formations of Canadian geese." He says the formations are more like a U shape that rises and descends in an undulatory pattern during flight. Both shapes facilitate energy conservation however. http://archives.evergreen.edu/masterstheses/Accession86-10MES/Stevick_PFMESthesis2017.pdf

Shred

Shred
PostMon Oct 19, 2020 6:47 pm 
A couple thousand snow geese ( I believe) were hunkered down just south of Marsh road on hwy 9, this morning. Love seeing them fly over my place in Snohomish. Means winter is close.🤗

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 3:42 am 
Yes, the Snohomish Valley flocks seem to be almost as numerous as the Skagit birds. I do not remember that from 10-12 years ago, but not sure. Hope you and the Docks get some good turns this year....with pics.

camut

camut
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 2:10 pm 
Swans have returned now, too. Saw a pair flying over Skagit Flats this AM.