Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Traveling across the country to hike somewhere else.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
asdf

asdf
PostWed Oct 21, 2020 6:15 am 
Long story short, we may be moving to the east coast. Now I have hiked the Appalachians and they're nice, but I have a soft spot for the Cascades after 25 years hiking them. So, contingent on us moving, was me stipulating I get a trip back to hike every year. Or maybe two! Anyone do this kind of hiking and what would you say are keys to its success? I guess everything can be put on the plane except fuel. Then there is the question of renting a car, probably not many companies want you taking it up potholed dirt roads. Guess I am just looking for some stories or advice from people who do this kind of thing so I can feel more settled with this plan...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Oct 21, 2020 6:42 am 
When we lived back East we took a trip to CA every summer. Just put your stuff in a hockey bag and rent a car (lots of AWD SUVs available) Most hikes are accessible from either paved or main line roads. More expensive but still cheaper than hotels.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Oct 21, 2020 8:46 am 
Every year from 1984-1990 I made a trek from CT to WY,CO,ID,WA,OR,CA,AB,BC etc to go hiking. In '84-'86 I flew west, in '86 I bought a '72 Nova while in CA and drove it back to CT. In '87 we drove the Super Nova back to CA. In '88 we customized a van and drove it back and forth across the USA, hit Banff and environs. Did backpack trips at several locations. In '89 My wife and I hit the road with a '69 Skylark and hiked Part of the Continental Divide trail in CO and then spent 10 days in the Minarets area of CA. In '90 I bought a customized Dodge Tradesman 300 van with the extend-a-butt. This was our Honeymoon trip. We drove all over the place - took Highway 2 all the way from MI to WA. Wound up in Vegas after a 12 day backpack adventure in the Kearsarge Pass area of the Sierras. Drove through Zion. We generally took back roads through KS, OK, MO, IL, IN, WV etc. This was all in the day before any cell phones, so it was real type 2 fun. Back when one could actually repair a disabled vehicle on one's own. Key to success: I really loved driving across the country to see what is actually happening. In December of '90 we moved permanently to SEA. Now we are contemplating becoming snowbirds and spending winters in a warmer climate, but plan to return to WA for the summer hiking season. So I'm trying to figure out the logistics as well. PS check out the Adirondack high peaks region.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Oct 21, 2020 10:10 am 
Second the suggestion on Daks High Peaks

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn