Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
Previous :: Next Topic  
Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!

Slugman

Itís a Slugfest!
PostWed Oct 07, 2020 3:29 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
The People of Darkness by Tony Hillerman

--------------
ďThe jerking motion of a knee does not reflect the operation of a mindĒ  Slugman, January 24th 2020
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
neek

neek

PostThu Oct 22, 2020 9:09 am 
Einstein: His Life and Universe, by Walter Isaacson.  This may be the first biography I managed to finish.  Helped me better understand one of the most important figures of the 20th century--not just his scientific work but also his politics, spirituality, and humanity.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr

aka friendly hiker
PostWed Nov 04, 2020 1:02 pm 
Until The End OF Time, Mind, Matter, and Our Search for Meaning in an Evolving Universe by Brian Greene, Alfred A. Knopf, New York, 2020.    I had this on hold from the Seattle Public Library where it was in limbo for months until they started checking out books again.   This is one of those books which is way over my head, but written so well that I was able to follow along regardless. 

Here's the jacket blurb on the author:  "Brian Greene is a professor of physics and mathematics at Columbia University and is renowned for his groundbreaking discoveries in superstring theory.  He is the author of The Elegant Universe, The Fabric of the Cosmos, and The Hidden Reality..." Here is the Kirkus Review or the Goodreads Review

Many times I just soldiered on through some of the physics and mathematic references, but it was worth it to get to his conclusions in the final chapter "The Nobility of Being, Mind, Matter, and Meaning".  Here's a passage I enjoyed: 

While we may long for a perdurable legacy, the clarity we gain from exploring the cosmic timeline reveals that this is out of reach.  But that very same clarity underscores how utterly wondrous it is that small collection of the universe's particles can rise up, examine themselves and the reality they inhabit, determine just how transitory they are, and with a flitting burst activity create beauty, establish connection, and illuminate mystery.

Definitely a good read overall.  This is great bedside reading.  It will take you away from our constant ongoing national drama.     ~z
neek

neek

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 7:39 am 
zephyr wrote:
Until The End OF Time

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, zephyr.  I've been meaning to read Greene for a long time, and this might be a good place to start.  Always good to have a few books on the Christmas list for people who insist on sending gifts.

Stepping away from science for a bit, I've read

Lincoln in the Bardo, George Saunders.  Weird freaking book.  A bit over my head, like most serious literature.  The format--what might be called thought-chatter among ghosts in Purgatory--is quite interesting.  I might recommend 10th of December for anyone wanting a gentler introduction to Saunders.

Educated, Tara Westover.  If you thought your family was screwed up... but no, don't read this for the family drama, but to see what can emerge from even the most insane family situation.  If only all the sheltered and abused kids of the world could read this.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Nov 29, 2020 1:38 pm 
Neek wrote:
Lincoln in the Bardo"

zephyr wrote:
Until the End of Time"

I liked that one, Neek.  Got it from the library as soon as they made it available. Enjoyed as much reading subsequent articles about how Saunders came to write it, and about the actual historical events.  Saunders has an unusual background for a writer. I was reminded of him just yesterday when an excerpt from one of his novellas was read on NPR's "Selected Shorts" See the 11/26 "Modern Fables" episode.

Zephyr, that sounds like a good one - I'll have to get a copy.

I've been reading some online shorts about the joys of solitude, in nature, especially.  Like this one: The Oracle of Oyster River

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  Itís why we canít have nice things."  - Tom Mahood
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
  Happy Birthday ozzy!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: