Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantments & Leavenworth Economy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSun Oct 11, 2020 11:02 am 
Nancyann wrote:
We have the same problem of people using back roads for a bypass. Sometimes they even follow me, thinking that I know a secret way around, until they end up at a dead end. lol.gif
Its all good as long as they are allowed to take the Kellog Lake bypass. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Downhill

Downhill
PostTue Oct 13, 2020 6:03 pm 
Like the other residents, I get to experience the new pedestrian stoplights more often than most visitors. In my personal opinion, they are a good thing based on the frequency of "near-misses" I have seen along this section of the highway over the years - a daily occurrence at least. But I think the root of the issue is poor planning by WSDOT and poor local planning related to lack of adequate parking for tourists and locals alike. I would love to see a couple of public parking lots (even multi-story) on the north side of the highway as there is too little land on the south side between the highway and the river. Then build a nice pedestrian overpass (or two) like the one at Stevens Pass. Safety and convenience! This would eliminate the need for any ped-only stoplights. It's just my guess, but I would think that far more people cross Highway 2 in Leavenworth than crossed (prior to the overpass) at Stevens Pass annually.

MtnManic
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 6:30 am 
i the city of Leavenworth along with WSDOT has a lot to do with the poor planning thru the town. At this point a bypass is out of the question and sure the city wouldn't like it. There was a time when one of the only stop lights on Highway 2 was in Wallace Idaho. But now there's several and the one in Wallace was bypassed. Part of the population growth of the region.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 14, 2020 9:06 am 
timberghost wrote:
i the city of Leavenworth along with WSDOT has a lot to do with the poor planning thru the town. At this point a bypass is out of the question and sure the city wouldn't like it. There was a time when one of the only stop lights on Highway 2 was in Wallace Idaho. But now there's several and the one in Wallace was bypassed. Part of the population growth of the region.
Uhh, that was I-90, not hwy 2. There is a difference. It was either Kellogg or Wallace and I'm thinking more Wallace, that the original plan was to cut the town in two with I-90. The town rebelled and the interstate was elevated above the town.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Oct 21, 2020 10:15 pm 
Get a freeway goin' thru 'Worth. Put a freeway in!!!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Oct 22, 2020 12:53 am 
treeswarper wrote:
It was either Kellogg or Wallace and I'm thinking more Wallace, that the original plan was to cut the town in two with I-90. The town rebelled and the interstate was elevated above the town.
It was Wallace...Btw, if you ever go there, check out the 1313 Saloon, very historic, great ambiance, the food is good and best of all, they brew their own beer. -1313_Club_https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35629-d1152919-ReviewsHistoric_Saloon_Grill-Wallace_Idaho.html The waitresses wear shirts that read "The boobs are real but the smiles are fake".

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Oct 22, 2020 8:14 am 
Vail, Colorado, with one of the highest per capita incomes in America, is always proposing crazy astronomically expensive ideas to put interstate 70 underground as it passes through town. Just like Wallace, the freeway goes right along the edge of the town and you can hear it everywhere (multi-million dollar homes with a freeway view and noise). I don't ever see it happening and if Vail can't get something like this, I don't think it will happen anywhere.

schifferj

schifferj
PostThu Oct 22, 2020 9:15 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Btw, if you ever go there, check out the 1313 Saloon, very historic, great ambiance, the food is good and best of all, they brew their own beer. -1313_Club_https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35629-d1152919-ReviewsHistoric_Saloon_Grill-Wallace_Idaho.html The waitresses wear shirts that read "The boobs are real but the smiles are fake".
I've stopped in there a time or two. Concur with the recommendation on ambiance and food. Love those fake smiles. A couple years ago I took a fall on Dragontail. My bill from Cascade Medical Center was a little over $3k. The treatment I received at Cascade Medical Center was great!

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Oct 22, 2020 12:10 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Vail, Colorado, with one of the highest per capita incomes in America, is always proposing crazy astronomically expensive ideas to put interstate 70 underground as it passes through town. Just like Wallace, the freeway goes right along the edge of the town and you can hear it everywhere (multi-million dollar homes with a freeway view and noise). I don't ever see it happening and if Vail can't get something like this, I don't think it will happen anywhere.
That's cause these guys in vail are soft and they have not used extreme force to move that freeway

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 22, 2020 12:30 pm 
I don't know if having a freeway go overhead instead of through is much of an improvement. I'm waiting for the potatoheads to finish their freedumb and then I plan to go ride their trails. Apparently they are now shipping patients out of state now. Leavenworth is a tourist town. They wanted that. Don't move there unless you can live with it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Oct 22, 2020 2:35 pm 

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Oct 22, 2020 3:08 pm 
I miss almost live...reminds of the days when I first moved back here in 1990.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Oct 22, 2020 5:09 pm 
Slugman wrote:
"Cops in Leavenworth"
I miss that local humor, too. rotf.gif ykm.gif I wonder if a 2020 Keister & Co. take on the territory would be a hit, or if people are just wound too tight to laugh at themselves anymore.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Jan 07, 2024 1:53 pm 
What do these have in common? Barcelona, Machu Picchu, Venice,...Leavenworth??? eyes.gif From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Overtourism is the congestion or overcrowding from an excess of tourists, resulting in conflicts with locals.
December weekends were brutal this year. I heard lots of complaints while witnessing bad behaviors and gridlock traffic, even into the neighborhoods. I pretty much stayed cozy in my home on Saturdays, since I now only ski mid-week at Mission and Stevens. up.gif My wife still needs to be at work downtown, which becomes complicated. I heard of some 2-3 hour struggles of some who work in town but live in Cashmere/Wenatchee. huh.gif Some say these recent national media broadcasts didn't help, but I think the toothpaste was already out of the tube.
In response to the original title of this post: Yes, the economy is doing just fine, pretty much year around. I guess the tourists here (and people crowding into Hobby Lobby in East Wenatchee) didn't get the memo that the economy was wrecked by "somebody!" crybaby.gif mum.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jan 07, 2024 2:49 pm 
I grew up in Wenatchee. I absolutely hate to go there now. It has too much traffic, too few bridges for that traffic, and is a sprawl. The old way to avoid some of the traffic has been blocked off and made into parking lots. The diagonal parking downtown is an accident waiting to happen as a big old SUV will park and totally block the view of oncoming traffic. The highway "down the river" now has frequent wrecks and closures and not just during fruit harvest. Leavenworth? Folks who moved there in the past 30 years certainly knew it was a tourist town. Why they don't have more train service from Seattle to there is a mystery to me. It's perfect for that. Was reading complaints from locals about getting around. Maybe Leavenworth should change it's theme to Dutch, ban cars and encourage bike travel. Throw up a windmill somewhere. Put a dike along the river? That would be a wonderful theme for Wenatchee as well. Growth sucks unless you are in the real estate business.