Forum Index > Food & Grub > Not for the ultra-lites
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Oct 22, 2020 1:46 pm 
This probably won't be of interest to anyone who's minimizing pack weight and only carries freeze-dried grub. But it's great for car camping, dining in your motel room (if you have microwave access and a bowl), or whenever you don't feel like cooking. A great selection of Asian-style curries, et al: http://tastybite.com/ I've tried several of their meals, though none using legumes. All quite acceptable. I've seen the most variety at a Haggen's in Bellingham, and a few flavors at Costco in Redmond and the Ballard Market. Tasty and - inexpensive. hungry.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Oct 22, 2020 2:59 pm 
I used to take those backpacking all the time. Back when I used a coleman white gas stove. You boil water and put the sealed tasty bite packet in the hot water to soak and absorb the heat while you cook rice in another pan. Pretty tasty for backpacking food. Was a messy bit for clean up. In the end I only really liked one or two flavors. In the "white gas days" the weight penalty was less as it required less fuel to cook than many other options and I was carrying a hefty load. My local Safeway carries the Tasty Bites. Back when I hauled a 7 LB Gregory Baltoro 75. Went down to a 4.5lb 60L Osprey and now a 1.5lb 52L Zpack. So I went lite by elimination of excess as much as by upgrading equipment. I can no longer decide "what the hell, I've got room, put it in there".

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 22, 2020 5:59 pm 
Funny. Several years ago, after having received a box of "Tasty Bites" meals, I started a thread here asking sarbar if she thought their "Channa Masala" might be appropriate for dehydrating. You can buy those, open the packages, and put them right into a dehydrator and take the weight down to a bare minimum. Trader Joe's offers a few products which are similar, but I've found them to be considerably spicier than the "Tasty Bites" products. Of course, you can always cook the stuff yourself and dehydrate it. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Oct 22, 2020 9:02 pm 
Perhaps a good thing I brought up the brand again, Ski. You didn't mention it by name and the link in your old post is dead. I've never messed with dehydrators; perhaps never have done a trip long enough to have the incentive to use them. BTW, Coldrain108 - the Tasty Bite brand does have a rice dish - Thai Lime. It's OK but needs a bit of doctoring - a bit more moisture or butter or something. I guess that could be dehydrated too, and would likely taste better than "Minute Rice" or some such.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 22, 2020 10:18 pm 
I used to enjoy Tasty Bites -- but the sodium content is way too high for me now.

bk

bk
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 7:41 am 
Ski's "thread here" containing the broken link within works with wayback...

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 12:47 pm 
I'm also a fan of Tasty Bite, but more for sea kayaking than backpacking. I especially like their Punjab Eggplant. But I think most of their options are a bit oily to dehydrate.