Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rampart Lakes via snowy backdoor, Oct 22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kenji

Kenji
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 8:27 pm 
This might end up as my last full-day hike of the season, I'll be on skis most of time. The road was snow-free and pretty easy to drive although there were many but shallow potholes. The trail, however, had some snow right away and deepened to about 4"~6" at my turn around. This was my first time on this trail, the snow didn't make it easy. My total distance was a bit over 6 mi / ~3000', which ended up one of my slowest hike ever. I spent over 6 hours at 1 hr/mi, but made it back to the car before the sunset.
It was nice to have a set of foot prints and dog paws to follow to Lake Lillian. The rock slab path along the lake was an immediate no-go. Since being my first time there, I wasn't sure if there was any other questionable section beyond. So I decided to go around the lake on my left in clock-wise. This wasn't that easy either and made a much longer loop adding more than hour to get back to the main trail. But it was scenic and got a good view of the main trail.
The trail was mostly visible, probably not after a next snow fall.
Lakelet
Lakelet
Finally!
Finally!
Took a ridge route back, a bit rocky and slower going.
Nice to have a trail:
back to Lillian!
back to Lillian!
Went back on the main route bypassing the rock slab by going above. I then realized there is an established bypass, even shown on the map! Made a quick stop for Lake Laura and the water fall.
Hiking in the snow is not really my thing, but enjoyed the beautiful winter hike...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 8:50 pm 
Kenji wrote:
The rock slab path along the lake was an immediate no-go.
eek.gif That route is tricky even in dry weather.
Kenji wrote:
Went back on the main route bypassing the rock slab by going above. I then realized there is a established bypass, even show on the map!
Great! You found the way. wink.gif Excellent trip. I've always wondered what it was like on the other side of the lake.
Kenji wrote:
These are some gorgeous photos. This is just one of them. ~z

rossb

rossb
PostSat Oct 24, 2020 8:14 am 
Yeah, that slab is nasty. I didn't know there is a bypass. Sure enough, it does show up on some maps (e. g. https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=47.39908,-121.33846&z=17&b=mbt). Cool. Oh, and great pictures as always. Thanks for sharing.

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostSat Oct 24, 2020 6:03 pm 
Bypass has been there for a while, but was not as apparent until recent years...The rock slab used to have a hand line to cross that angled slab. Otherwise, without proper care or if it is wet, you'd slide off.