Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hunting on DNR/county land in king county?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 5:53 pm 
Hey folks! We are going hiking with a friend tomorrow who has a big brown dog... so ya... wanna stick to non-deer hunting terrain. Our state's websites and maps could stand to be more functional... but my interpretation is that hunting is allowed on DNR land in the tiger mountain area. But that hunting on king county land (taylor forest) is not allowed? I hope I am interpreting that right. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 7:22 pm 
Both Tiger Mtn and Taylor Mtn and in WDFW Game Management Unit 454 -- so the same hunting regulations would seem to apply at least as far as the WDFW is concerned. Here is a map that shows the Tiger Mtn region -- only very small parts of state owned lands on Tiger Mtn are shown in Pink as no hunting zones https://www.dnr.wa.gov/publications/amp_rec_snocorhuntmap110717.pdf?h0znxo Taylor Mtn is county owned land and the county doesn't allow hunting (see page 32) https://your.kingcounty.gov/dnrp/library/2004/KCR1632/taylor-mt-public-use-plan.pdf In the course in my reading of hunting forums on this subject part of the discussion included: "Hey I got this notice from the sheriff on my windshield while I was parked at the Hobart Gate to the Taylor Mountain forest that hunting isn't allowed -- what's the deal?" So whether or not it is legal to hunt in particular area doesn't mean that some dingbat won't be hunting there.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 7:42 pm 
ORANGE

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Oct 24, 2020 12:51 am 
thunderhead wrote:
We are going hiking with a friend tomorrow who has a big brown dog... so ya... wanna stick to non-deer hunting terrain.
If at all concerned/uncertain, I'd keep the dog leashed, and for lack of other bona-fide dog duds, would stop at a McClendon's Hardware (or Home Depot) and get a light safety vest that could be jury-rigged somehow so the dog could wear it. McClendon's (or certainly Cabela's) would probably have "hunting dog accessories". Or just leave Fido at home.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Oct 24, 2020 6:44 am 
Ski wrote:
ORANGE
I find that bright PINK is more visible. Might be less "manly" though. Call it Florescent Salmon and you're OK. Bright Turquoise also shows up well.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Oct 24, 2020 5:47 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Ski wrote:
ORANGE
I find that bright PINK is more visible. Might be less "manly" though. Call it Florescent Salmon and you're OK. Bright Turquoise also shows up well.
A minimum of 400 square inches of Flourecent Orange or Pink is required if you are actually huntimg -- I don't believe the WFDW has any regulatory authory if you are hiking and not hunting -- but Darwin would suggest following the WDFW rules. https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2019-10/hunter_pink_factsheet_1.pdf

tlake

tlake
PostSat Oct 24, 2020 6:23 pm 
If in doubt for King County land and hunting go to King County Parcel Viewer. Usually you will see that it's part of the Parks Department. Thus no hunting allowed. The biggest issue is people who have hunted it for years, don't know the ownership has changed to King County Parks. They are supposed to know but many don't check ownership. It's easy to find out ownership with OnX Map app for a smart phone or Gps. (Plus parcel viewer).

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 8:54 am 
Randito wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Ski wrote:
ORANGE
A minimum of 400 square inches of Flourecent Orange or Pink is required if you are actually huntimg -- I don't believe the WFDW has any regulatory authory if you are hiking and not hunting -- but Darwin would suggest following the WDFW rules. https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2019-10/hunter_pink_factsheet_1.pdf
I know the hunting rules. They do not apply to non hunters. And I'll stand by my assertion that florescent pink is more visible. There are no bright pink leaves or vegetation to blend in with. Orange, although bright, is a natural color. The idea is to be SEEN, not be fashionable. I ran into an old lady ( I are one now) years ago in Conrad Meadows who pointed out that she liked bright turquoise clothing during hunting season. She had a good point. Being seen is what it is all about. I have found it easier to find pink flagging than any other color, and my career was spent dealing with flagging in the woods. Orange blended in, blue was easier to see than orange. Of course, there are color blind folks out there if you want to deal with every contingency. I've worked amongst hunters also for eons and managed to survive. I did get tired of their question, "Aren't you afraid to be out here all alone?" Every year that question, and more than once I felt like strangling the asker.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 10:14 am 
Randy wrote:
I don't believe the WFDW has any regulatory authory if you are hiking and not hunting -- but Darwin would suggest following the WDFW rules.
^ This is the most salient point made in the thread. While I tend to agree with treeswarper about ORANGE vs. PINK, I would hesitate to recommend turquoise blue. Wasn't there a woman shot a few years ago wearing a turquoise blue parka? You are well within your "rights" to wear whatever color you like in the woods if you are not hunting, but your "rights" won't keep you from being shot by some hunter who mistakes you for a target.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 3:26 pm 
Taylor mountain was well marked with "no hunting" signs. We kept the dog leashed anyway.