Forum Index > Trail Talk > Honk'n & Holler'n
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 10:25 am 
I went up to Esmerelda Basin yesterday. Not because I wanted to, but because I had to. I wanted to retrieve a camera before it was buried in snow. I wasn't really looking forward to it, but, I ended up having a very enjoyable day...until...the very end. When I arrived at the trailhead there were about 6 cars. When I returned, the lot was full and cars were starting to line the shoulder. Nothing too bad. Maybe 100 yards down the road When I got down to the parking lot, a pair of gentlemen in a black Mercedes SUV drove in. All the parking spaces were taken. They drove to the end of the lot and turned around and slowly headed to the entrance of the lot as if they they were going to park on the shoulder. I believe they were driving slowly because they were watching me to see if I was coming or going. Hoping a new spot was going to open up. What they failed to notice was that another hiker was warming up his vehicle getting ready to leave. He was parked at the back at the lot. As he pulled out another car came in and took that now vacant space. The black SUV at the mouth of the lot does a quick U turn and starts honking their horn. They drive up to where that person pulled in and the passenger rolls down his window and starts yelling at that guy. "WE WERE HERE FIRST! WE WERE FIRST! THERE'S A LINE!" Okay. I almost always mind my own business. But this instantly triggered something in me, and even now, I really don't know why. Bit it really pissed me off! I had a nice quiet hike. I only saw 7 people on the trail on my return. When I got back to the parking lot there were a few parties in quiet peaceful chatter gearing up for their adventure. Everyone appearing happy to be outside. Then this Rockwell Painting moment get interrupted by this JackAss! I kinda lost it. "Hey!", I said as I'm approaching the passenger side of the vehicle. The passenger didn't hear me. He's still bitching at the guy who supposedly stole his spot. "HEY!!!" As I approached his window "CALM DOWN!!!" He looked a little startled. "Calm down man. I'm leaving. You can have my spot" "Oh. Okay. Thank you sir" I looked at the guy who was being honked & hollered at, shook my head and shrugged my shoulders. There was no line of cars waiting for a spot in the lot. Do lazy people hike? If you're going on a hike, does it really matter if you have to hike a additional 100 yards. I was annoyed the entire drive home

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 11:17 am 
I was hoping someone else was going to swoop in and get your spot right when you left.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 11:35 am 
Look if you want a spot in line you're gonna have to pay me!!! And fill out the required paperwork!!!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 11:49 am 
Picking fights with people from an expensive car and then leaving it unsupervised for hours might not be a good long term strategy. They must be more trusting than I am.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 12:05 pm 
neek wrote:
I was hoping someone else was going to swoop in and get your spot right when you left.
I can change the story to a happy vigilante ending

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 12:10 pm 
Hey, you done good. You defused a situation, and you helped the hardest kind of person to help: someone who doesn’t deserve it.

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 12:40 pm 
Good job!! Some people need to get back to work it's getting them frustrated

Damian

Damian
PostSat Oct 24, 2020 7:58 am 
Someone like that is certain to end up head to head with someone just like themselves before long. A tough lesson is assured. No point in inserting unnecessary risk in my life. The system kind of self balances. My standard approach to road rage.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Oct 28, 2020 11:10 am 
This is such a Seattle story. Seattleites so fiercely and aggressively prosecute their idiosyncratic notions of etiquette. I've seen and experience so many more road rage incidents around Seattle then I ever did in Boston and New York, which is supposedly where people are bigger jerks. And it's always someone getting over-the-top angry that someone else violated some nonsensical or made up rule of etiquette. In this case, it's the supposed rule that you get automatic priority for any spot that opens in an entire parking lot if you pulled into that lot first. I've seen others get into a tizzy when they believe someone has violated this ridiculous rule, which does not actually exist.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 28, 2020 12:48 pm 
Most drivers from Seattle aren't from Seattle. So it's not a Seattle thing.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
dixon

dixon
PostWed Oct 28, 2020 1:07 pm 
Foist wrote:
This is such a Seattle story
It really is. Ive seen this 'victimized' and entitled attitude grow stronger in the past decade of living here, it's a global magnet for the same personality types in which there is no sense of individual responsibility, its always someone else's fault - "The Homogenous City". This year i've witnessed several interactions like this one. One involved a dog that lept out of the trunk of an SUV and ran up the trail, he came up to me first, friendly small dog. This other guy on the trail then started yelling for the owner to leash his dog immediately, took out out his phone and began recording - apparently the standard thing to do in 2020 - then demanding his name before he will report him to the authorities. What saddens me most is that the backcountry used to be the last frontier of true "freedom" in this country and now these entitled city dwellers, most of whom are only out there to ensure that their "digital persona" has something to boast about, have successfully polluted the outdoors with their pre justice and the most toxic characteristics of our divided society.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Oct 28, 2020 1:21 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
All that proves is that it's not something magically imprinted on people when they're born here.

wakerobin

wakerobin
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 1:45 pm 
People from the east coast get angry, they (we, I still do this although I've lived here 20 years) let you know it. They honk, they flip you off, they move on. People here pretend to NOT be angry and are then just passive aggressive about it- they slow down in front of you, ride your tail, drive right next to you, etc. Honk your horn, gesticulate wildly then let it go.

Between the silence of the mountains and the crashing of the sea...
Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 2:30 pm 
Pop in "Two For The Show" Kansas 8 track and leave your worries behind you....

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostTue Nov 03, 2020 12:56 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Exactly...as a Seattle native, I've tried to clarify this for many people.