Forum Index > Trail Talk > Broken down boat blocking 1/2 of Tinkham Road
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Oct 12, 2020 5:13 pm 
car68 wrote:
Here in Washington you can hide meth in a vehicle and have the same result.
rotf.gif breakdance.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nordique

nordique
PostMon Oct 12, 2020 7:21 pm 
28 feet long? Shades of the old days up the Middle Fork, with so many discarded large kitchen appliances and more!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Oct 25, 2020 5:00 pm 
Now there's something like a miniature U-haul trailer 100 feet from where the boat was. Obviously abandoned, left open. Looks like some creepy thing you wouldn't want your children to go near.

Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Oct 29, 2020 1:21 pm 
I decided to delete the post.... There are fancy studies on how what impacts what and this remains as a reminder folks either don't have money or the notion to remove junk from the forest...

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Oct 29, 2020 1:49 pm 
Quote:
When America was about being beautiful. No political reference implied. Just miss the way things used to be....
"Used to be" when? I certainly understand and share the frustration, but as an environmental historian, and one who has worked for big federal land management agencies for a long time, I can assure you there was no golden age in the past where all people treated nature or other common resources with respect. I have been astounded many times throughout my career learning about the different and selfish ways people have absolutely trashed nature in the US (and don't get me started on cruelty to wildlife...). There are more of us now, and we are always going to have thoughtless and selfish people among us, so maybe you really do notice more vandalism/dumping than you used to, but I sure can't think of a time when America was all about being beautiful and we never saw this stuff. And in a lot of categories things are much better than they were.

Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Oct 29, 2020 2:19 pm 
It just seems like in the past 10 years vandalism has been on the rise along highway corridors within the city and beyond city limits. It's true as I get older, I tend to wish things were better back in the day, but that isn't true. It's nice that organizations like Friends Of The Trail clean up areas especially along Tinkham Road!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 29, 2020 2:40 pm 
Brucester wrote:
It just seems like in the past 10 years vandalism has been on the rise along highway corridors within the city and beyond city limits. It's true as I get older, I tend to wish things were better back in the day, but that isn't true.
While I agree 100% with kiliki's statement just above, I have to agree with you about the vandalism and graffiti increasing a significant degree over the last couple decades - it seems that everywhere you look, some moron has "tagged" something with a can of spray paint. As to the vandalism: I do not recall 50 or 60 years ago municipalities removing recreational facilities because the level of vandalism made it impossible to maintain those facilities (e.g., the small "kiddie park" that the City of Tacoma had constructed at the southwest corner of Center Street and South Tyler Street years ago, which was subsequently removed just a few years later.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Oct 29, 2020 3:20 pm 
30 years ago the MFK was a horror movie setting. Misty water colored memories... Can it be that It was all so simple then? Or has time re-written every line? The High Divide in the ONP was thrashed 30 years ago...it is much better now...all that damned regulation, with permits and quotas.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Oct 30, 2020 2:23 pm 
We might be seeing more of it simply due to the fact that there are more of us. I think graffiti has been bad this year presumably due to bored high school kids who aren't in school. Litter seems bad to me, and WSDOT told me the legislature cut some litter pick up programs. I think in some ways things are better, though. For instance--literally just this minute I read this in an 1963 report on Big Hole Battlefield that provides a history of early visitation. (Until the 1960s this was in a very remote and hard to reach part of Montana--there were no paved roads and almost no tourists went there). "Early visitors were mainly local residents who resorted to the battlefield for picnic outings, and their principal interest in the area appears to have been in the opportunities it provided for the collecting of souvenirs. Such use was indiscriminate and largely destructive, ranging from innocent gathering of spent cartridge cases, to thoroughly chopping out the bullets lodged in trees and exhuming burials, to defacement of the Soldier's Monument." I mean, I know that there is still archaeological looting, but your average person or family out on a picnic doesn't exhume bodies or destroy granite monuments anymore. They had to put the Soldier's Monument at Big Hole in a cage because people were damaging it as they literally tried to hack off pieces of it for no apparent reason. The photo is from 1920. It doesn't have to be in a cage anymore.
photo monument
photo monument
Current photo. No cage!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Oct 30, 2020 7:15 pm 
Thanks for the perspective @kiliki. Good to keep in mind especially when we see this stuff - not just that it could be worse but that it has been. Still feels like we should be able to expect more from outdoor lovers.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 30, 2020 8:16 pm 
FWIW: The Baker-Snoqualmie FB page posted about the boat. https://www.facebook.com/MtBakerSnoqualmieNF/posts/3737372529626928
USFS wrote:
We are used to finding some pretty interesting things that people leave behind in the forest, but this one took us by surprise. If you recognize this boat and know who it might belong to, please let us know. We want to be sure to return their lost property to them... We ask that you pack out your trash when visiting national forests if it cannot fit in one of the trash receptacles we provide at developed recreation sites.
zbozt
zbozt

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 11:11 am 
I wonder if the boat was dropped off there in anticipation of the polar ice melt and the owner can use it when this happens?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 11:34 am 
Thanks for the pic, Randy. That's the one. That photo doesn't show the left edge of the road so it's hard to judge how big a problem this was for drivers. A single driver with no traffic needed a little more care through that corner but not a big deal but any means. This section of the road exploded in popularity late this summer though, parked cars lined both sides of the road for more than a mile, it was already far from ideal, the boat was the cherry on top.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 11:53 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
I wonder if the boat was dropped off there in anticipation of the polar ice melt and the owner can use it when this happens?
I think King County's rate $140.82 per ton for garbage disposal is why the scofflaw left the boat on the forest road. It looks like the engine and other metals that have recycling value were removed. But a fiberglass hulk is just garbage. Kittitats County charges $57.46 per ton or just $8 / cubic yard for demolision debris at the Ryegrass Landfill -- so dumping the boat there was just being a cheapskate, lazy slob.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 12:54 pm 
Seems to be a lot of that theses days. There's another one up by Sunset falls if anyone is interested.