Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Wolves need our help NOW!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pcg

pcg
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 9:19 am 
Ski wrote:
setting foothold traps in an area with livestock that have had frequent interactions with wolves) may result in meeting the goal of changing pack behavior
I wonder if they do this on public land. If so, it seems there would be a small chance it may result in injury to a human. I hope they’re well-marked...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 11:45 am 
Wednesday September 23, 2020 11:35 PDT WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates
WDFW, in their Wolf Update of 09/23/20 wrote:
Washington’s wolf population has shown eleven consecutive years of growth, according to annual year-end counts. But will the wolf population consistently continue to grow, and for how long? Will it hit a "saturation" point at some point? Biologists look to wolf ecology for answers. Read the full article HERE
-WDFW-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Oct 22, 2020 5:39 am 
altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 8:44 am 
Does that count as a wolf attack? Looks like there has only been one other recorded wolf attack human in Washington history (the one where the researcher climbed the tree near Tiffany Mountain) per this wikipedia page (I don't count the one on Camano Island; wold-hybrid was someone's pet): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wolf_attacks_in_North_America

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 2:42 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Does that count as a wolf attack?
No. Neither does the incident where the wildlife biologist climbed a tree to get away. As you allude, fatalities are so rare that without anything else being known, it is far more likely that he made up the story about being threatened. If you read the comments, it is implied that the shooter had put out bait to attract game, and when he went out to find out if he was successful, he found wolves there and shot one. If indeed a wolf bared its teeth at him, it was likely to keep him away from what they thought was theirs - the bait. When the Sheriff uses this shooting to endorse carrying a gun in the backcountry, it makes me doubt that he had any interest in determining whether the story was true.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Oct 23, 2020 4:51 pm 
I was a high school boy, moose hunting S of Chetwynd. A dark still night, well below 0f, headed towards -40f that night. I was trying to pick my way through a series of beaver ponds to get to the road. A wolf pack came across me, were around me and talking to each other. I never saw them, but in the really cold still night a couple passed close enough that I could hear them trotting in the snow. 40’? 60’? Yes, of course I had a rifle (essential to story, please). No, I never felt under attack. Different people feel different levels of comfort when out of doors. Next morning I remembered to take my flashlight. I also was out of the bush and on the road before dark. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 29, 2020 12:20 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
If you read the comments, it is implied that the shooter had put out bait to attract game, and when he went out to find out if he was successful, he found wolves there and shot one. If indeed a wolf bared its teeth at him, it was likely to keep him away from what they thought was theirs - the bait.
Kind of gettin' ahead of yourself, aren't you? The comment should be taken seriously just like all comments...not much. No where is there proof of that. I know people who have cameras out and none of them put out bait. They know where to put a camera and get plenty of action without baiting. It's location location location. Pyrites, I got misplaced for a bit--paddled by the marshy entrance to the boat launch on the south shore of Lake Superior. It was just about dark and I also heard wolves howling around me. Didn't feel threatened because I was on the water. I realized I must have gone to far, turned around and found the entrance to the boat launch to the car. Guess I could have thumped one on the head with a paddle, but it might hurt the paddle.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 29, 2020 4:38 pm 
Thursday October 29, 2020 15:04 PDT WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates
WDFW, in their Wolf Update of 10/29/20 wrote:
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to federally delist gray wolves On October 29, 2020, the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) announced that gray wolves in much of the contiguous 48 states will be delisted from the federal Endangered Species Act (ESA). The rule will publish in the Federal Register on November 3, 2020 and will be effective 60 days after publication on January 4, 2021. Once the rule is in effect, state and tribal wildlife management agencies will resume responsibility for sustainable conservation of federally delisted gray wolves. The state of Washington has facilitated wolf recovery for more than a decade and is well-prepared to be the management authority for wolves statewide. The USFWS will monitor the state’s wolves for five years to ensure the continued success of the species and that it continues to meet the federal recovery objectives. Of the 26 known wolf packs in Washington, 21 reside in the eastern third of the state where wolves have not been federally listed under the ESA since 2011. The recent federal decision to delist gray wolves applies to the western two-thirds of the state and makes the federal status consistent across the state. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) will continue to work closely with partners, stakeholders, and communities, just as we have over the past decade, on the recovery, conservation, and management of wolves in Washington, with a focus on achieving the state’s recovery objectives and reducing conflict between wolves and livestock. WDFW is committed to the recovery of gray wolves in Washington and they remain listed as endangered by WDFW throughout the state. Wolf recovery and long term population sustainability remain a priority of WDFW. As guided by the Wolf Conservation and Management Plan developed in 2011, Washington’s wolf population is on a path to successful recovery.  Since the first WDFW wolf survey in 2008, the state’s wolf population has grown by an average of 28 percent per year. WDFW counted 108 wolves in 21 packs and the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation reported 37 wolves in five packs in Washington during the annual wolf population survey at the end of 2019. Washington Gray Wolf Conservation and Management Annual Reports can be found at https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/publications. Additional information on Washington’s wolves can be found at wdfw.wa.gov/wolves.
-WDFW-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Oct 29, 2020 5:44 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
I was a high school boy, moose hunting S of Chetwynd. A dark still night, well below 0f, headed towards -40f that night. I was trying to pick my way through a series of beaver ponds to get to the road. A wolf pack came across me, were around me and talking to each other. I never saw them, but in the really cold still night a couple passed close enough that I could hear them trotting in the snow. 40’? 60’?
I had a very similar experience up north. I was skiing across Waskesiu Lake in Prince Albert National Park under a full moon and a wolf pack came running out of the timber on shore and seemed to be running straight at me. They passed by me within 50 feet and never broke their stride running past. They had a goal and it wasn't me. Later in the season I was skiing through the hilly woods and skied right into a pack. There was a few moments of hesitation by all but they took off the other direction.

altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Oct 30, 2020 10:06 am 
Ski wrote:
The rule will publish in the Federal Register on November 3, 2020 and will be effective 60 days after publication on January 4, 2021.
This action seems like an attempt to gain votes from certain constituents, as does the decision to allow old growth logging in Tongess National Forest. I assume these rule changes will be reversed should the incumbent lose the election.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 30, 2020 10:15 am 
The text in that post is from WDFW, not me. The decision was made by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, of which not one employee is elected. The Tongass issue has nothing to do with either USFWS or wolves.

slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady
PostFri Oct 30, 2020 10:24 am 
The timing on Tongass and wolf delisting isn't coincidental. It's pretty clear that the conservation decisions happening at a federal level are absolutely being driven by the administration, abetted by agency appointees who are political animals themselves now.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 30, 2020 10:49 am 
Oooh, thread drift. Maybe another thread should be made so I'll do it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 4:49 pm 
Monday November 9, 2020 09:36 PST WDFW GRAY WOLF UPDATE A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/at-risk/species-recovery/gray-wolf/updates -WDFW-

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Dec 17, 2020 1:21 pm 
Any more word on the delisting?