Forum Index > Trail Talk > Please recommend early season snowshoeing or snow camping trips.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 10:10 am 
My son will finish his training to become a Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician and will be home for two or three weeks in November before he deploys to Guam for three years. He always enjoys hiking and camping when he's home, so I was thinking snowshoeing or snow camping might be fun. We've snowshoed together, but he has not been snow camping before. I usually like to hike a few miles and then build a snow cave. Any recommended destinations.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 10:15 am 
The area around Paradise at Mount Rainier is a classic location for what you describe. Also consider the Artist Point - Huntoon Point area by Mount Baker, another great location but maybe not as good for building a snow cave as the Paradise area. Please research and be aware of avalanche problems in both locations, even in early season. A suggestion for just a snowshoe, or you might not even need them if people have been up recently and there is a packed boot track, would be Mount Dickerman. I've done that one around Thanksgiving a couple times and loved it.

Dante

Dante
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 10:29 am 
Thank you awilsondc! My son and I went to Paradise last time we went snowshoeing. We only put on snowshoes for traction on the final climb to panorama point. The MRNP website says "The park backcountry is accessible for dispersed recreation" and that we can self-register outside the Wilderness Information Center at Paradise. up.gif I also found this helpful resource on the MRNP website, in case anyone else is planning a similar trip.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 11:02 am 
It may be hard to find enough snow for a decent snow cave in November. Mt. Baker area is great for snowshoeing.

Dante

Dante
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 11:05 am 
Thanks MangyMarmot. Do you know if National Recreation Area trailhead off the Baker Lake Road open in winter?

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 11:14 am 
I haven't been up there recently. Here is the road conditions map from the US forest service website. Not sure how up to date it is. https://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=2f5351d70b0d4ed9b13d372e9d109fcb I was able to park at the Tonga Ridge trailhead at about 4200 ft yesterday. That's quite a bit farther South, but it's possible that you can drive fairly high still. Highway 542 is plowed to the Mount Baker Ski area. That will get you to 4200 ft even in the dead of winter.

Dante

Dante
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 11:20 am 
Thanks for the info. The other complication is my vehicle. My old VW has a limited slip differential, good winter tires, and chains in the trunk, but it's not four wheel drive. It's a diesel, too, so I'll have to remember to add fuel treatment before parking it at altitude in November.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 1:54 pm 
This winter is supposed to be a La Nińa, so lower total snowfall than normal. In Late November you could snowshoe anywhere above 3000 feet. A snow cave under 4000 feet might be tough. One option is to dig a long pit at the surface, throw a “blue tarp” over it and cover with snow for insulation. There are many of the I-90 hikes that are significant less used once covered with snow. Many are National Forest, so less camping restrictions.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 3:03 pm 
FWIW: AFAIK in terms of snow camping the park service won't issue winter backcountry camping permits until the snow depth at Paradise reaches 5 feet. This is to protect the underlying meadows from being stomped on. Another spot to consider is Hen Sken lake, Bullion basin, or Lake Basin accessed from the Crystal Mountain ski area base. If the ski area is operating, it is appropriate to check in with their ski patrol located on the western side of the main lodge and let them know your plans. Also take care to park in the "B" lot and if parking attendants are on duty , tell them that you plan to snow camp and park where directed. They've generally been accommodating in the past, but "rouge" parkers have sometimes found cars not parking in the designated for the night overnight, area, "bermed" by snow plows clearing the lot. The area north of White Pass is another area with decent overnight potential.

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 3:15 pm 
Randito wrote:
Another spot to consider is Hen Sken lake, Bullion basin, or Lake Basin accessed from the Crystal Mountain ski area base.
Dittos to what Randito suggested. None of these places will have enough snow right now for igloos or snow caves, but will be cold enough for him to get a good dose before he goes to Guam!

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 8:26 am 
If snow caving around Paradise, the NPS requires the snow to be at least 5 feet deep before they allow it. I think that depth will happen fairly quickly this La Nina season.

God, I am going to regret this someday!
dixon

dixon
PostFri Nov 06, 2020 12:37 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
Mount Dickerman. I've done that one around Thanksgiving a couple times and loved it.
Does anyone know the legality of doing this? I was explicitly informed by a forest ranger on the Dickerman trail that there is no legal camping on the mountain regardless of time of year?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Nov 06, 2020 12:59 pm 
dixon wrote:
awilsondc wrote:
Mount Dickerman. I've done that one around Thanksgiving a couple times and loved it.
Does anyone know the legality of doing this? I was explicitly informed by a forest ranger on the Dickerman trail that there is no legal camping on the mountain regardless of time of year?
Sounds like nonsense to me. USFS lands are generally open to camping -- unless there are specific regulations otherwise -- AFAIK The Enchantments Zone is the only area in Washington where camping on USFS lands are limited by permit -- and then only between May-15 and Oct-15 But if you really want to know the scoop on this: Check current conditions or call Darrington Ranger District office at 360-436-1155 or Verlot Public Service Center at 360-691-7791.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Nov 06, 2020 4:30 pm 
Old Irish saying, “Tis better to beg forgiveness than ask permission”

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Nov 06, 2020 6:54 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Old Irish saying, “Tis better to beg forgiveness than ask permission”
https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8027354&highlight=overslept

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want