Forum Index > Trip Reports > Granite Mtn 7144' ALW
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 8:03 pm 
With a rare sunny, fall, weekend day, I headed up the Cle Elum river road for a trip to Harding Mtn. But, when I saw that the bumpy, washboard road was mostly snow free, I thought I'd change plans and go for Granite Mtn above Robin Lake. The flat trail along Hyas Lake had some icy snow patches but nothing too difficult. There were a couple fresh down trees but again, nothing much to get around. At the junction to the Robins Lakes trail, I ran into the only other person that I'd see that day, he was coming down from Tuck Lake. There was a little new snow from the day before but not deep at the lake. Once at Tuck lake, I wasted so much time not knowing the route to get to Robin. I tried going in so many different directions that I almost gave up several times. Up and down to the lower pond, trying to go around the N side, etc. I eventually found the snow covered trail with many helpful cairns. Although, I found the route, it was extremely slow going on the snow covered slabs.
Hyas lake reflection
Hyas lake reflection
I eventually made it to the really slabby and partially ice covered part to get to Robin Lake. More careful hiking to avoid the ice and I was looking at the lake and Granite Mtn above. It still looked like a long way to go and I decided to go around the Left side of the lake to the Northern side of Granite. The slopes looked the easiest and it went. The last 400-500 feet to the summit had much icy snow which almost had me put my crampons on. I reached the summit while looking over at the South summit knowing I didn't have time to climb it.
Granite Mtn above Robin Lake
Granite Mtn above Robin Lake
Mt Daniel
Mt Daniel
Robin Lake
Robin Lake
I only had a couple of hours of daylight left, so I headed straight down towards Robin Lake. It was a good route although there were some deep post holing in shaded spots. I admired the quite lakes as I hear they're a mess during the summer.
lower Robin lake
lower Robin lake
The way down to Tuck lake was slow and icy, I slipped on an icy slab and bruised my knee. I then took my time and carefully made my way back down to the main trail. The last mile or so back to the trailhead was by headlamp. It was A beautiful day in the mountains even if the pics didn't quite show it 16.25 miles 5400' elevation gain 9.5 hrs

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 8:14 pm 
up.gif

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 8:35 pm 
Good call going up there in the "off season", although it sounds like the icy conditions were slow and tedious. That section from Tuck to Robin is confusing enough without snow, I can imagine it being very tricky in those conditions. Nice job getting this one when it's not a zoo up there. up.gif up.gif

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostSun Nov 01, 2020 9:08 pm 
Nice trip. That's such a cool area. I bet it was really beautiful this time of year with some snow.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 9:45 am 
raising3hikers wrote:
Once at Tuck lake, I wasted so much time not knowing the route to get to Robin.
I day-hiked to Tuck/Robin this summer and ran into the same problem. Luckily I ran into some other hikers who directed me to the route. It isn't straightforward.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 6:24 pm 
excellent. yep spent too much time trying to find the 'trail' to Robin. too many social trails! glad you tagged Granite! up.gif hope your knee is better up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
silence

silence
PostTue Nov 03, 2020 3:54 pm 
Certainly a beautiful day! Congrats on getting the goods, esp up there. BTW, we moved to Shelton last Xmas. Once we get the place in order ... currently sleeping in the guest bedroom, but R is just now finishing up on remodeling the master .... you are always welcome to crash here (we can find room for the family too).

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan