Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > "RC" an inexpensive midlife crisis!!!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 1:32 pm 
It is funny how toys have changed. Back in the 80's I was in England and met a group who built ultralight model aircraft - and I mean ULTRA light. These were balsa structures with rubber band power and dope wings that they flew in a large open building. The dope for the wings was floated on water for months before carefully being lifted and attached to the tiny framework (with a high failure rate). The rubber bands looped down before being wound to avoid putting too much stress on the delicate structure.These folks would spend 6 months building a new model which would most often be ruined on first flight. And a successful flight was one that slowly rose in a circle before gently gliding back to earth when the rubber band wound down. Contrast that with the high performance and reliable RC trucks and drones available today. I'm not knocking them - I certainly prefer the modern toys - but it sure is a different experience.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Jun 19, 2020 5:16 am 
YouTube Gold is an example of how intricate TC has become! Toys have become works of art! On that show he also tests underwater submersibles and a jet boats. The Traxxas Unlimited Desert Racer trophy truck, that thing is unbelievable! I haven't taken to the sky but I can imagine how graceful those gliders are!

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 6:25 pm 
There used to be a regular group flying RC soaring planes in Everett. Not thermals. Updrafts from wind across Port Gardner, and up the bluff. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Jul 20, 2020 10:36 am 
Yesterday I met a crew of guys with their RC trucks driving them up the lower Swan Creek trail. It was great, headlights were on..winches in place ...and carrying beer on top! Looked like fun...it was just like a real jeep outing complete with breakdowns of various kinds. Crossing the creek messed up a few of them.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Aug 02, 2020 10:39 pm 
flatsqwerl wrote:
Yesterday I met a crew of guys with their RC trucks driving them up the lower Swan Creek trail.
I've heard of folks doing "ultra's" while doing the rc thing but never beer hauling! Seems like that'd be too heavy and an unstable load?!

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 2:48 pm 
Planes are cool, I might be persuaded. Glide silently. Been checking out the planes. Bush planes. The ones that are easier and safer to fly. More than a tool than a toy. Its a sense of meditation. IMO

Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Nov 02, 2020 2:55 pm 
RC vs real life there's such a low cost and impact on the environment! Here I find a rut made by real scale rigs....