Forum Index > Trail Talk > Where do I order my 2021 NWHIKERS Calendar?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Nov 06, 2020 5:18 pm 
Is the calendar photo contest still open? And where do I sign up for this year's Potluck Social? Or is the answer to all these, "There isn't one". Has Chief Joseph got it right? . So then I guess that life as we know it has come to an end. Why? We're still hiking. The pandemic hasn't stopped us from taking pictures. Tom doesn't have to hand out the Calendars at a Social in order for us to have either one. Tom, you don't have to be a physical middleman on the Calendars. Set it up with Mixbook, so we all order our calendars separately. Or if Mixbook requires a bulk order, get Josh Lewis to handle it. As for the Social, we can have that in January. We've done that some years when we could all get together. ..... So we have plenty of time to have a photo contest and get a Calendar made. Slugman suggested doing a drive-in Social, but Seawallrunner's idea is better. She said, . I have a Zoom account that we can use. With Zoom we can all see each other; we can even eat together. huh.gif Sure we can. I'll make my spaghetti. Ski will make pies. We just can't share quite the way we usually do. ...... Hey! We don't even have to have our masks on. smile.gif Tom, it's been 20 years (!) since I held things together when MtnGoat's site was wiped out, while you and Caver built this one. ..... Please don't let Corona-19 add NWHikers to it's list of victems.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 06, 2020 6:47 pm 
Hopefully we will have a calendar for 2022. Just don't think it's going to happen for 2021 due to covid and other distractions.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 06, 2020 8:27 pm 
One thing we could do is have a photo of the month contest to honor calendar worthy photos taken in 2020. For example, in December we could have members submit and vote for the January photo, in January we could vote for the February photo, and so on. Might be a good cabin fever distraction and I think we would get better participation than trying to put together a last minute calendar.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Nov 06, 2020 8:47 pm 
Scrooge wrote:
Has Chief Joseph got it right? . So then I guess that life as we know it has come to an end.
I hope not, but on the bright side I am usually wrong, at least that's the feedback I typically get..

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Nov 06, 2020 9:55 pm 
Tom wrote:
One thing we could do is have a photo of the month contest to honor calendar worthy photos taken in 2020.
This is a great idea. ~z

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 06, 2020 11:25 pm 
I forgot about cover as well. I guess we could kick that off in November with photo of the year.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 12:06 am 
I like this idea, thanks Tom! up.gif

BarbE

BarbE
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 9:12 am 
Excellent idea Tom!

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 3:16 pm 
BarbE wrote:
Excellent idea Tom!
NO. It isn't, Barb. It's an acceptance of Chief Joseph's observation. A couple of years ago, you would have said, "I don't know about the Calendar, but I can get together with Seawallrunner to plan a virtual Potluck". Tom would have started the Photo Contest today, to run two weeks. It would take him about an hour. And he would have asked an understudy to contact Mixbook to find out what we had to do to handle a Calendar under current conditions. And asked for a volunteer to actually handle the details of Calendar creation and distribution. . rotf.gif But it isn't going to happen. nopity.gif I really thought NWHikers would outlast us, because our interest in exploration seemed to be unique. ..... Oh well. I'm 79. It will outlast me.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 3:51 pm 
I will miss the calendar contest and social, but can live without it. The Bulgers party is skipping this year too. There's always next year! nwhikers continues to be my go-to place for hiking information and conversation every day. I'm so glad it has remained a site for people willing to share high quality outdoor information and not devolve into a "look where I am" showcase. Thanks to Tom and all the moderators for keeping the lights on.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 4:43 pm 
This will have to be the year we celebrate each other's calendars.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 4:49 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
This will have to be the year we celebrate each other's calendars.
I will just be "Celebrating" another year of living.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Nov 09, 2020 10:10 pm 
I like Tom's idea! Go for it!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 9:10 am 
Consolation prize: Railroads of Everett calendar

geyer

geyer
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 9:13 am 
So there won't be a 2021 NWhikers calendar.... but will there still be a 2021 Awilsondc calendar?? (or is that the same thing?) wink.gif dizzy.gif moon.gif