Walking Nature World
Joined: 12 Aug 2018
Posts: 173 | TRs
|Tips, advice and our experience with Via Francigena - Things important to know
Watch the full video here:
In this video we are going to share with you our tips and tricks that we were able to come up with while doing the Via Francigena. Also our main impressions about this trail and some advice that may come in handy before you start. We are going to share what season is the best to hike it, what accommodation to choose, the weather patterns you can meet, whether it is possible to wild camp and all the difficulties and highlights of this trail. Hope that youŽll find some useful information in it.
Some of our points are:
- Best season to hike are the months of May and September-October
- Switzerland part of the trail better to do in summer
- The difficulty of the trail is overall easy
- There is not enough water sources on the trail
- Supermarkets are easily available on the way
- Trail marking is good
- Stealth camping was generally possible
- Wild camping rules are different in every province
- There is lots of private land where the entrance is forbidden
- Hostels and albergues are quite expensive
- Italians speak good English
- Highlights of the trail for us were the old bricked parts of the way, ancient oak forest, meeting wildlife and getting to know the historical heritage of Italy
- We didnt like the amount of fast car roads, trail parts not adapted to hiker, and not enough wilderness
What tips do you have for having the best experience with Via Francigena?
We are a young couple who loves hiking, nature walking and camping. We choose walking over driving and other types of transportation whenever we can. Also we have a Youtube channel where we're showcasing all our hikes.