Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What music have you been listening to today?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 9:46 am 
This Monday I hiked Tonga Ridge a bit toward Fisher Lake. When I got to Sawyer Pass it got colder and darker as I entered the shadow of the ridge above the lake. I turned back to stay in the sun and headed up to Mt. Sawyer lookout. The views were wonderful in all directions with clear blue skies until around 1 in the afternoon when the clouds moved in. To celebrate those last sunny days of the fall season and other good things I offer this:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 11:02 am 
A collection of Woody Guthrie songs...on loop.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 1:49 pm 
In honor of the Seahawks tomorrow:

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 4:41 pm 

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 10:59 pm 
Adam Lambert when he was a contestant on American Idol in 2009. American Idol TOP5 Rat Pack 1960s theme week - Season 8 Episode 33. He's done quite well since those days. Embiggens nicely. ~z

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Nov 24, 2020 9:27 pm 
Anne Elk's BLM Public Service Announcement thread led me on a search for a little tune that some of you might remember from a Stanley Kubrick film. Sure, you can find it in various forms on YouTube, but if you want your very own copy, here it is in its entirety, available for download in various formats. ( If you do some serious digging around on that site, you'll find some of my archival tool catalogs as well. The site is a gold mine. ) wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Nov 28, 2020 2:48 pm 
Interesting, Ski. I never investigated the full soundtrack of 2001-ASO, and had no idea that those haunting voice choruses were anything other than weirdness composed just for the film. And now, for something completely different, yet strangely similar ... vvvv

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Nov 28, 2020 2:48 pm 
Several years ago I heard an NPR feature on the contemporary composer John Luther Adams. I was quite impressed at the time but neglected to follow up. An old story about him floated up in my recent wanderings in the NYTimes online, and I immediately recalled my first impressions. Adams' works are sonic immersions evocative of their titles. His "Become Ocean" was commissioned by the Seattle Philharmonic:
The NYTimes feature: A composer attuned to earth's swirling motion The NPR interview http://johnlutheradams.net/

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 4:36 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
I never investigated the full soundtrack of 2001-ASO
My mother gave me the LP of the Soundtrack for a Christmas Present the same year the movie was released. The music is (in my humble opinion) one of the best things about the movie: aside from the avant-garde compositions by Ligeti - Requiem and Atmosphères - Kubrick's use of Johann Strauss' On the Beautiful Blue Danube (Berlin Philharmonic, Herbert von Karajan, cond.) was truly genius. (And among all of the other renditions of that piece I've listened to, probably the best arrangement and orchestration.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 5:51 pm 
Ski wrote:
The music is (in my humble opinion) one of the best things about the movie
One thing for sure, Kubrick sorta ruined "Zarathustra" for a generation of classical music-lovers. You can't hear it anymore without thinking of the movie. Although Disney (Fantasia) and Chuck Jones (too many to mention) did the same. clown.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 9:07 pm 
Oh.... I'm not so sure about that.... Yes, we have an entire generation of people who think that there are actually lyrics to Rossini's Overture from "The Barber of Seville".... "Ooooo where do I get dat wabbit?" "What would you want wid a wabbit? Can't you see that I'm much sweeter? I'm your little señoriter!" While classical music aficionados may well cringe at the liberties Warner Brothers' took with various works (long in the public domain), none of those are on a par level of egregiousness as Frito-Lay's misuse and abuse of what is arguably one of the most popular tunes of our neighbor to the south, Cielito Lindo. As to the brilliant arrangements and orchestrations (conducted by Leopold Stowkoswki) of the various pieces Disney selected for "Fantasia", I would submit that not only did it give Disney's animators an opportunity to really delve into their own genius at hand-painted gel-frame animation - something sorely lacking in contemporary garbage like "Simpsons" or "South Park" - but it introduced a generation of theater-going Americans to some fabulous classical selections that have stood the test of time. Moreover, I'd argue that the use of public-domain classical compositions - from Sarasate's "Zigeunerweisen" to Liszt's "Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2" to Edvard Grieg's "Peer Gynt Suite" - at the minimum exposed an entire generation of Saturday morning cartoon-watching American children to some of the best pieces of classical music written during the last few centuries, regardless of whether or not those children learned to appreciate them. It certainly could be no worse than the passage from Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture being used in a scene in the movie "Wayne's World".

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 9:31 pm 
It's true (re Disney). My favorite: What's Opera, Doc? "Oh Bwunhilda, you're so wuvley ..." "Yes I know it ... I can't help it ..."

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 10:50 pm 
"What's Opera, Doc?" and "The Rabbit of Seville" are unquestionably the zenith of Chuck Jones' genius (the latter being my favorite.) I have both of them (as well as several others) on a VHS tape here. Looking at the "Wikipedia" entries for each, they've both been given high ratings by film reviewers and various film academies. That said, music aside, as far as animated shorts go, two of my all-time favorites are Academy Award winners "The Hole" (1962) and Closed Mondays (1974). (The latter makes Ray Harryhausen look like an amateur.)

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Dec 01, 2020 10:00 pm 
I'd heard of Carrie Akre back in the day, but never really checked her out until recently. I was missing out. She was in local bands Hammerbox and Goodness, did some solo stuff. There were the Big Four grunge bands, but some lesser known groups that were part of that scene (Ellensburg's own Screaming Trees, for example) I think were about as good as the mega popular artists. Anyway, here's a little sampling of Carrie.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Dec 01, 2020 10:14 pm 
I posted something with this young Ukrainian yodeler in another thread. I just can't stop listening to her. Makes me smile every time.