Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > "lol"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 5:38 pm 
I had a rant a couple of years ago https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8021089&highlight=epic My newest one is "lol" Ever have a conversation with someone and they laugh or giggle after every comment. In fact, my brother-in-law does this. I'm now seeing it in a lot of writings. "One time I hiked up mailbox peak lol. I saw a mailbox lol. I met a lot of really nice people lol. On my way down I twisted my ankle lol. I had a after hike meal @ Paul Bunyan's Pizza & Burgers lol. Well, enough of this report. Good night everyone lol" Is it deliberate or does the author even realize what they're typing? Why the need to try to trick the reader as if every sentence is humorous? Is a twisted ankle funny? I wonder if my brother-in-law writes like he talks? I should ask him sometime lol. I can understand responding with "lol" in a reply to something someone thinks is funny, but this new trend is really stupid. I'm also trying to decide if ending every sentence with "el oh el" in upper case instead of lower case is even stupider.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 5:50 pm 
omg you're so right lol

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 7:55 pm 
Several of y'all cracked me up just then. I was definitely laughing out loud. Thanks! ~z

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 8:24 pm 
Although originally used as you’d think, lol has morphed into an expression of compassion, commiseration, sympathy, even used as an eye-roll of co-understanding. Hard for us old folks to wrap our heads around but these definitions and uses change.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 9:10 pm 
Jaberwock wrote:
lol has morphed into an expression of compassion, commiseration, sympathy, even used as an eye-roll of co-understanding.
Hmmmm... interesting. I just tested that. A few minutes ago I asked my wife if she wanted to...you know... She said, ( not a text to my phone ) but out of her mouth said, "el oh el" I don't think her response was compassion ( maybe it was. Kinda like... "oh you poor thing" compassion ) but it was more like sympathy used as a eye roll, or... more like a passive aggressive...NO!" Wow! "el oh el" is kinda confusing ( and frustrating ) I think I might have to start putting this in my "guy talk" Next time one of my good friends asks me when the last time my wife and I were intimate my response will be... "it's been awhile. The last time I asked her I got "el oh el'd"

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 10:57 pm 
Carlin

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Nov 08, 2020 7:56 am 
the thing I find most frustrating about texting....you cannot see the other persons behavior, eye lifts, lip smirks, or stance so you really can't get an idea of what they mean when they (lol) or guffaw.. I have quit using lol and instead use har har or ha ha for the amusing or actually say so sorry or something.

half fast

half fast
PostSun Nov 08, 2020 8:56 am 
lol isn't laughing out loud... who really laughs out loud quietly... Laughing Out Loud is LOL LOL LOL... rotf.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Nov 09, 2020 9:25 pm 
I personally prefer GTFO, STFU, and "You are FOS", over LOL.. Does that make me a bad person?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 8:17 pm 
Have you ever noticed? That some people? End each sentence? Like a question? Or with teenagers, you only need three verbs: Like, all, and goes. And he's like, "no way", and I'm all, "Yeah, way", and he goes, "Whoa". Seriously, dude, if I ever start talking like that, dude, just kill me, dude! PS: LOL!

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 8:58 pm 
Blowdown wrote:
PS: LOL!
Yep! Definitely stupider