Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > I-90 Snoqualmie Pass Wildlife Corridor Closure Area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Nov 08, 2020 8:57 pm 
I've always known even before the closure, that the land beyond the Lake Keehelus boat ramp was off limits to everything but foot traffic.
but its ok to walk...
but its ok to walk...
What I've been seeing this year is something different. LOTS of cars, 4x4's, quads, people doing selfies.
is the sign vague
is the sign vague
Tires are bad for fish eggs...
Tires are bad for fish eggs...
I was up at the parking lot looking at the craziness as this guy parked his rig and boat trailer, walked over to talk to me. He was out fishing on the lake and was going home. He was really troubled by the 4x4's driving through Gold Creek for what appeared to be photos or video with little concern for the fish. Little did they know the damage they could be causing in doing so. Also the big fines for driving across rivers, creeks and streams he was telling me. I'm not a fish guy but I agreed that this are is being loved to death.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 09, 2020 8:57 am 
Send them to Rimrock Lake. They have a motorcycle race in the Fall on the lake bed.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostMon Nov 09, 2020 6:43 pm 
Looks like a good place to get stuck in the mud.

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Nov 09, 2020 9:47 pm 
frown.gif

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 11:42 am 
This reminds me of all the jerks offroading in national parks during the 2018 government shutdown because rangers weren't there to stop them.

mosey

mosey
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 2:25 pm 
I camped at Cold Creek off the iron horse in late summer and was surprised at the number of trucks clearly out of bounds beyond the cold creek outlet having fires and launching off fireworks all evening.

Brian R

Brian R
PostMon Nov 23, 2020 8:22 pm 
Not to be a muddy blanket here, but this area is the antithesis of natural. A man-made reservoir. A long-ago stump farm that comes up for air only half the year. A major interstate highway with decades long blasting, pile-driving, paving, regrading taking place. A shoreline that is almost completely armored. Near the head of a river system that is one of the most altered in the region. Are we sure there aren't better places to make a stand? I smell elitism.

altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Nov 24, 2020 9:36 am 
All true except Keechelus Lake is a natural lake made larger by a dam, similar to Bumping Lake. This area has been identified as a critical wildlife corridor so multiple entities are trying to accommodate increased vehicle traffic along I-90 with north-south moving wildlife.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Nov 24, 2020 10:34 am 
Brian R wrote:
"...this area is the antithesis of natural..."
Pretty accurate assessment, particularly at the inlet side where millions of years of alluvial accretions were pushed around with heavy equipment to provide fill for the construction of Interstate 90. In their infinite wisdom, lands managers and planners have hatched a scheme to repair and restore at least part of it, which may or may not return it to some semblance of a naturally-flowing inlet stream. I believe the details are here in another thread somewhere.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
asdf

asdf
PostTue Nov 24, 2020 10:52 am 
Brian R wrote:
Are we sure there aren't better places to make a stand? I smell elitism.
Well if simply abiding by posted regulations makes a person elitist, then I think your standards are too low.

Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Aug 03, 2023 3:39 pm 
The road is now closed and gated from the parking lot on the right. No access to the boat ramp or camping anymore. It always seemed like people had access to the closure zone and went there anyway. The gate controls that. I liked getting tamales at the gas station and sitting by the lake waiting for the jets to do a fly by in the summer. Not anymore. frown.gif

kw

kw
PostFri Aug 04, 2023 2:00 pm 
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD1127216
Quote:
Cle Elum, WA- (August 1, 2023)- The Okanogan-Wenatchee National has enacted two closures to restrict motorized vehicle use within the Keechelus Lake basin, located 1 mile southeast of Snoqualmie Pass, WA. The closures are to protect spawning bull trout and their habitat and cultural resources within the Keechelus reservoir area and Gold Creek. Both Gold Creek and Keechelus Lake provide critical habitat for a genetically distinct population of threatened bull trout, and Gold Creek is the only spawning reach for bull trout in the Keechelus system. Migrating and foraging fish are at risk of death and habitat damage as water levels go down and incidents of illegal four-wheel driving occur through the creek and across the lakebed. The closures include: 1) a year-round closure to motorized vehicle uses on Lake Keechelus lakebed and shoreline, off roads, and adjacent to the Lake Keechelus boat ramp parking lot. 2) a seasonal closure of the boat ramp parking lot and a portion of Forest Service Road #9070-219 during reservoir drawdown (once the lake elevation reaches below 2,480 feet). These closures are needed to protect a threatened population of bull trout. Bull trout is a culturally significant species to several Tribes in the Northwest and Columbia River Basin, and Upper Yakima River watershed.