Forum Index > Trail Talk > 2 more missing hikers Snow Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostFri Nov 13, 2020 11:37 am 
It certainly speaks to the power of confirmation bias.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Nov 13, 2020 11:50 am 
Randito wrote:
In all honesty, you would be amazed at what people will ignore to continue going the wrong way once they have got it in their head that they are headed in the right direction.
Like the time I went into the Men's restroom at the College Inn, thinking it was the Women's restroom, and wondered what why they had urinals in there. Unable, or unwilling, to think critically, I stuck around and did my business there in one of the stalls. On my way out, I was a taken aback that a guy was in the Women's restroom, peeing in one of the urinals. Back with my friends, I told them how weird the Women's restroom is - that it has urinals in it, and furthermore a guy was in there, probably drunk and can't read the damn sign on the door. As the rest were laughing their asses off, one of my friends took me by the hand and led me to the door and we read together, slowly, "M-E-N's"

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
JimK

JimK
PostFri Nov 13, 2020 2:25 pm 
As long as we are talking about screw ups.. I have had a few. Way back on 6-29-02 Gary and I set out to do a bike/hike up Three Brothers Mountain from Shaser Creek. Logging roads up and over the ridge at Iron Mt. and down to the trailhead. The problem was that 30 year old USGS maps did not show the logging roads correctly. We ended up biking most of the way to Miller Peak and hiking the rest. It turned out to be a fun trip, just not the one we planned. This was pre GPS. We did not start where we thought we did and technically were lost at the start and figured out where we were later in the trip. My 18 1/2 year old trip report explains the mix ups. Trip To The Wrong Summit

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Nov 13, 2020 7:16 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Like the time I went into the Men's restroom at the College Inn,
Good grief, what a story! lol.gif ~z

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Nov 14, 2020 6:36 pm 
Rock Creek Trail on the return from Gem Lake reminds me of the Ingalls Creek trail on the return from Lake Ingalls. Both trail junctions are a obvious "wrong way" on the accent, but, for some reason, it appears the obvious way to go on the return.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Nov 16, 2020 10:29 pm 
Or the trail down to Tuschohatchie and the Pratt just before Melakwa Lake. Before the FS put up a sign a few years ago someone would head down there and need a rescue every few years.

Downhill

Downhill
PostSun Dec 06, 2020 10:53 am 
uhh.gif People are surprised they went the wrong way? Well, of course, they did or this wouldn't been a "lost hiker" story. No one gets lost without going the wrong way. Seriously tho, great to hear they used some good judgment and got out safely! Thanks to SAR and all those involved in helping this end well! up.gif

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Dec 06, 2020 11:42 pm 
College Inn bar. I’d have assumed there was a line at the women’s head and one women had enough gumption or need to use next best thing.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!