Forum Index > Trail Talk > All veterans to get free access to federal lands for life.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 11:29 am 
Starting tomorrow. That 3 years I did in the Army back in the 90s is now saving me $80/year. https://kutv.com/news/local/veterans-gold-star-families-can-get-free-admission-to-national-parks-for-life KUTV — U.S. military veterans and Gold Star Families will be granted free access to all national parks, national wildlife refuges, and other federal lands managed by the Department of the Interior, the Trump administration announced Tuesday. The offer begins on Wednesday, Veterans Day, this year, and every day onward. For the program, a veteran is identified as a person who has served in the United States Armed Forces, including the National Guard and Reserves, and can present one of the following forms of identification: Department of Defense Identification Card Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC) Veteran ID Card Veterans designation on a state-issued U.S. driver’s license or identification card Here's how to get a veterans ID card if you don't have one yet. https://www.va.gov/records/get-veteran-id-cards/vic/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nordique

nordique
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 5:38 pm 
Thanks, will have to look into that! I had not heard that announcement. I've been buying passes for decades now, except for the old age pass I use often. I also enjoyed the benefit of going to grad school on the GI Bill but I'd trade all that for not having been drafted in the first place! The first of my nine right leg surgeries was in Saigon in 1968, after my right tibia was shattered from knee to ankle by an AK-47 sniper round. The rest of my right leg surgeries were covered by my generous employer medical insurance.

meck

meck
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 6:18 pm 
Very cool MyFootHurts! Thank you for posting this (I know I will be looking into this). Here is the NPS link (same info you already posted)

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 6:30 pm 
up.gif

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 7:01 pm 
nordique wrote:
Thanks, will have to look into that!
Well, you could have acquired a lifetime pass for $10 (now $80) once you turned 62....surely you knew that?

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Felpudo

Felpudo
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 10:28 pm 
Dang Nordique. Thanks for your service. I think I would have given up on hiking after a half dozen leg surgeries.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 10, 2020 10:31 pm 
Thanks for your service. It seems like the least we can do for folks that serve their country and put themselves in harms way.

whitebark

whitebark
PostFri Nov 13, 2020 4:58 pm 
Not to be a party pooper (we all love veterans), but this seems to be a big loss of revenue for the parks and forests. How is that loss going to be made up for?

altasnob

altasnob
PostSat Nov 14, 2020 10:09 am 
I agree with the sentiments above and so does my Dad, who was drafted and served in combat in Vietnam (also drafted after grad school). This is not to disrespect Veterans. I don't understand the logic in free passes for old people as well. If you want to compensate Veterans more for their service, then compensate them more. Don't dupe everyone into thinking you care about Veterans' compensation by giving them $80 a year at the expense of federal lands funding.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Nov 14, 2020 5:46 pm 
whitebark wrote:
Not to be a party pooper (we all love veterans), but this seems to be a big loss of revenue for the parks and forests. How is that loss going to be made up for?
Access fees are IMHO the boondoggle -- Congress is able to prioritize spending billions to buy aircraft, tanks, etc that the pentagon didn't request and to give trillions of tax cuts to people and corporations with more than $500,000 / year in income.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Nov 14, 2020 7:14 pm 
Anyway it's great a lot of people have one less thing standing between them and the great outdoors. smile.gif

schifferj

schifferj
PostSun Nov 15, 2020 10:32 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Anyway it's great a lot of people have one less thing standing between them and the great outdoors. smile.gif
Although I have some thoughts I'm not going to go into the politics of this issue. One problem I do see is how does one for example park their car at the trailhead of 8 mile lake and take advantage of this. With the NW Forest Pass, The Golden Eagle Pass etc you hang the pass on the window and the "ticketing agency" knows you're good to go. Will they be trained to recognize a military ID lying on your dashboard? Will you feel safe leaving your military ID lying on your dashboard?

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Nov 15, 2020 12:06 pm 
schifferj wrote:
Will you feel safe leaving your military ID lying on your dashboard?
Don't do this. Not a good idea at all. Always keep your i.d. on your person or in a secure location. I don't even feel comfortable leaving my Senior Pass on the dash. ~z

Dante

Dante
PostSun Nov 15, 2020 1:34 pm 
up.gif I have a December 10 appointment at the Department of Licensing to: 1. Get an Enhanced Drivers License 2. Add the Veteran Designation to my Drivers License, and 3. Get my corrective lenses restriction removed I already have a Veteran ID Card from the Department of Veterans Affairs, but I try to minimize the number of cards I carry. UPDATE: The Washington Post says veterans may get an America the Beautiful Pass for free by presenting a Veteran Health Identification Card, Veteran ID card or a Veteran-designated state ID. Don't use your veteran ID as a pass. "Veterans, including those who served in the National Guard and Reserve, can claim a free America the Beautiful Pass by presenting a valid Department of Defense Identification Card, Veteran Health Identification Card, Veteran ID card or a Veteran-designated state ID."

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Nov 15, 2020 1:44 pm 
FWIW: There is a "Military America The Beautiful" pass. Getting one of those and leaving it on the dash in places where a parking permit is required seems like a better way to go than leaving your ID on the dash. https://store.usgs.gov/faq#US-Military