Forum Index > Trail Talk > Olympic National Park Welcomes New Chief Ranger Scott Jacobs 11/16/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 12:16 pm 
benneke wrote:
North Cascades interpretation ranger jobs are posted here, live until 11/20https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/580634300#
I wonder if Covid will affect those? I guess nobody knows at this point in time.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
benneke

benneke
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 12:27 pm 
Most parks hired interp rangers last summer, some at reduced numbers. I would assume parks will be hiring close to normal numbers for next summer

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 2:39 pm 
benneke wrote:
North Cascades interpretation ranger jobs are posted here, live until 11/20 https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/580634300# As for the questionnaire that asks you about your skills and experiences, know that everyone lies and says they are very experienced with everything so they can get past the algorithm. Hiring managers know and accept this.
I don't doubt that people do that, and the USAJOB self-ranking system, where they ask questions about your experience and ask you to rank yourself from A to E in terms of your level for those skills, is imperfect at best. But what's the point of doing that if you don't have the corresponding experience on your resume? You aren't going to get hired if you rank yourself expert level at a variety of interpretive tasks, but your resume shows that you've only been a software engineer.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 2:42 pm 
benneke wrote:
Most parks hired interp rangers last summer, some at reduced numbers. I would assume parks will be hiring close to normal numbers for next summer
Didn't they have to send all of their seasonal hires home? I thought they did. They couldn't have people bunk together or I think even share bathrooms in park housing, which greatly reduced the number of people that could employ.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 4:29 pm 
Doesn't look like it takes much to get hired at the GS-3 level, where you might have to repeat, "Foot in the door, Foot in the door" when you see how much you are paid. To qualify for this position at the GS-03 level, you must possess one of the following: A. Six (6) months of general experience. General experience is any type of work that demonstrates the applicant's ability to perform the work of the position, or (2) experience that provided a familiarity with the subject matter or processes of the broad subject area of the occupation. Examples of general experience include, but are not limited to: selling merchandise, collecting and accounting for fees or other monies, greeting visitors, disseminating information, providing directions, or other work which required dealing with people on a recurring basis and that indicates the ability to acquire the knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of this position. -OR- B. Successfully completed of 1 year of education above high school (30 semester hour or 45 quarter hours) that included at least 6 semester hours in courses such as American History, science, and/or public speaking. -OR- C. Equivalent combination of experience and education that, together, equal 100% of the qualification standards listed above when combined. There's nothing wrong with starting at the bottom and it gives you good experience to fall back on. You'd best be good at budgeting though. Do these people get to wear....The Hat?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 5:10 pm 
I know people that started out as GS-3s for exactly that reason. If that GS-3 job is fee collection (entrance booth), I believe there would likely be a flat hat. If it's maintenance and you are scrubbing toilets and shoveling snow, no. I've never been uniformed and it all seems very strict and complicated to me. You can check NPS Reference Manual 43 for 53 pages of uniform instruction. smile.gif

benneke

benneke
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 8:18 pm 
Depends on the state, I know they limited the housing occupancy in Washington but they didn't do much in Montana or Utah. Not sure about other areas.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Nov 19, 2020 6:44 am 
kiliki wrote:
I know people that started out as GS-3s for exactly that reason. If that GS-3 job is fee collection (entrance booth), I believe there would likely be a flat hat. If it's maintenance and you are scrubbing toilets and shoveling snow, no. I've never been uniformed and it all seems very strict and complicated to me. You can check NPS Reference Manual 43 for 53 pages of uniform instruction. smile.gif
I heard that there was a week long training session on The Hat! Perhaps they have a sorting hat to figure out job placements?

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Nov 20, 2020 10:14 am 
benneke wrote:
Depends on the state, I know they limited the housing occupancy in Washington but they didn't do much in Montana or Utah. Not sure about other areas.
I thought it was an NPS directive but maybe they left wiggle room for the regions to implement. The whole Pacific West Region did it. So did Alaska Region.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 23, 2020 11:00 am 
Too late now--I think facebook hates me because I refuse to make more than a couple friends, but the Wenatchee NF was advertising a couple of permanent land surveyor positions at a GS-7/9/11. That's an example of a hard to fill position where they are advertising out in the general public.