Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Gladys and Mount Henderson (Olympics) 10/21/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
reststep

reststep
PostSat Nov 07, 2020 12:40 pm 
Maybe follow the Hamma Hamma River up to that area. I am sure Cookie could find a route. https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=47.57366,-123.32239&z=14&b=mbt

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
badknees

badknees
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 2:24 pm 
Thanks awilsondc for that report& great photos. Many years ago I spent a night somewhere off the trail between Flapjacks Lakes & Gladys, then the next day went over Gladys Peak & down & out past Black & White Lakes, taking the old trail down below those lakes to the main trail. I'm not sure that trail exists anymore. What for sure is gone is the old lodge by Flapjack Lakes put up by the Bremerton Ski Club some time in the 30's or 40's. Apparently the very area between Flapjacks & Gladys divide area was a winter recreation site, with club members staying in the facility. What made this feasible was the presence of a working road much closer to Flapjacks than the current trailhead, and of course structures were permitted as it was before the National Park came to be.

reststep

reststep
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 4:04 pm 
I stayed in the Ski Cruisers cabin at Flapjack lakes a couple of nights back in the early 50’s. The route up there was marked with red metal markers so people could find their way in the snow. I suppose it is possible there may still be one or two of the markers but maybe not. The Ski Cruisers Club in Bremerton still exists and they have a cabin at Stevens Pass.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Nov 19, 2020 12:45 am 
Great to see how it looks in autumn, and with the moody weather.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Nov 19, 2020 7:28 am 
Really cool piece of history badknees and reststep! I had no idea there was a backcountry ski area up there, basically! I looked into it a bit, and there isn't much information available, but apparently there was a "Mt Lincoln ski bowl" that got at least some use. Crazy, considering how difficult to access and how infrequently visited Mt Lincoln is these days. I can imagine how much easier access must have been. That trail up there is so flat, wide, and broad I can easily imagine there being a road that went several miles up the North Fork of the Skokomish back in the day.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Nov 19, 2020 3:26 pm 
The book "Early Hiking in the Olympics" by Paul Crews has some information about the Ski Cruisers Cabin at Flapjack Lakes.