https://qz.com/1933863/the-shaky-supply-chain-for-life-saving-wasp-venom/

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 9:47 pm 
Fascinating article, BPG. Thanks for sharing it. Despite being a beekeeper, I had no idea there were anti-venom therapies for insect stings, only anaphylaxis treatment. One thing about anaphylaxis is that it doesn't always involve developing hives and airway constriction; and a reaction doesn't necessarily come with the first couple stings. I learned this from one of my friends in bee club. After beekeeping for several years, he got stung somewhere on the head/face, and then within a half hour or so began feeling sick and his wife called the paramedics. He experienced a precipitous drop in blood pressure and it took 2 epi-pen shots to stabilize him while being transported to the hospital. That was the end of his hobby.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Nov 19, 2020 8:53 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
a reaction doesn't necessarily come with the first couple stings
I discovered this when a friend who works as a landscaper went into anaphylactic shock from a single yellow jacket sting between her fingers. She had been stung many times in the past and never had a reaction. Everyone who spends a lot of time outdoors should know about how anaphylactic shock works. You do not need to be "allergic" in the traditional sense of having a reaction during an allergy test, sometimes your body just responds in an inappropriate way.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Nov 19, 2020 1:06 pm 
Way back when, working my favorite job as a landscaper in Woodbridge, CT. I waded into a yellow jacket hive without knowing while pruning a hemlock. I was trying to get that one last branch... Moments later, I felt "weird." Hives and loss of balance. I was in my early 20's and these sensations were subtle. Luckily the homeowner hadn't left for brunch and I was able to get a ride in the back of his car to the ER. I have been stung since, even in the eye socket by a bald faced hornet without such a severe reaction. I did get new Epi pen's but they got recalled right before Covid19... I've never had to use one.