Forum Index > Trail Talk > New 520 & Eastrail connector
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Nov 17, 2020 6:12 pm 
I haven't done the 520 trail yet, it's been on my list. People walking or biking along the Highway 520 Trail could cross directly onto the Eastrail trail via a new connection expected to be approved Tuesday, linking two major trails that serve Seattle and the Eastside. The Metropolitan King County Council last week approved an amendment to the proposed county budget that reallocates $1 million toward Eastrail projects, including the last $500,000 needed to develop the Northup Way Connector. A final vote on the budget was planned Tuesday. The 520 Trail and Eastrail cross each other but have a 20-foot, vertical grade separation. The $2.5 million project would construct a ramp to knit the trails together. The bulk of funding comes from Facebook and REI, which each contributed $1 million toward the project. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/new-2-5m-pedestrian-bike-trail-connection-would-further-link-seattle-and-eastside-cities/?amp=1

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 9:02 am 
That's cool. I always thought that was weird how the two trails cross but there is no good way to get from one to the other.

nickmtn

nickmtn
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 11:26 am 
Not saying its a bad idea, but holy crap infrastructure is sooo expensive in this country! 2.5 million for a ramp?

uww

uww
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 11:34 am 
nickmtn wrote:
Not saying its a bad idea, but holy crap infrastructure is sooo expensive in this country! 2.5 million for a ramp?
Seriously. I bet the guys in front of Home Depot would have it done in a week too. wink.gif Hopefully for 2.5M it will be something more interesting than a concrete wedge. It looks like it will be pretty long as 20 feet is fairly significant for a short distance.

Damian

Damian
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 6:18 pm 
When I saw the story in the paper I too was envisioning much more. I had to study the article in more detail to understand it was just a ramp. In any event, good to see the huge expansion of urban trails and bike paths during my life. When I was a kid one had to risk their life riding from the E side into Seattle. Anyone remember riding the sidewalk through the old dark and smokey Mt Baker tunnel and nearly getting hit by truck mirrors?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 7:32 pm 
I've ridden a loop utilizing the 520 trail, the Eastdside / Cross Kirkland Connector and the Sammamish River trail several times. With the current configuration to connect the 520 trail to the Eastside trail one needs to cross and ride Northup a bit and then 124th Avenue for a bit. This section has significant traffic and 124th is a bit potholed and has some rail lines to deal with. For an experienced urban assault rider it can be negotiated without too much trouble. I think many car wary riders -- I think it a bit of a showstopper. In terms of cost -- is $2.5 million (likely $4 million when it is all done and all the cost overruns taken into account) too high a price for a bit of infrastructure that will likely save a number of lives, while also increasing the utility and synergey of two regional trails? I think so. ETA: The city of Bellevue is spending roughly $70 million for motor vehicle oriented roadway improvements to the 124th corridor between NE 12th and Northup Way

nickmtn

nickmtn
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 8:56 pm 
Randito wrote:
In terms of cost -- is $2.5 million (likely $4 million when it is all done and all the cost overruns taken into account) too high a price for a bit of infrastructure that will likely save a number of lives, while also increasing the utility and synergey of two regional trails? I think so.
Like I said in my original post, I absolutely think it's worth spending the money to build out this infrastructure. My point was imagine how much *more* we could get done if infrastructure didn't cost so much in this country. This article compares subway costs in the US vs other countries and finds we are paying an arm and a leg for this stuff. https://www.marketplace.org/2019/04/11/subways-us-expensive-cost-comparison/ Because projects like this do save lives, it's even more important that bring those costs down so we can get more of them completed

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 9:41 pm 
nickmtn wrote:
Like I said in my original post, I absolutely think it's worth spending the money to build out this infrastructure. My point was imagine how much *more* we could get done if infrastructure didn't cost so much in this country. This article compares subway costs in the US vs other countries and finds we are paying an arm and a leg for this stuff. https://www.marketplace.org/2019/04/11/subways-us-expensive-cost-comparison/ Because projects like this do save lives, it's even more important that bring those costs down so we can get more of them completed
Well in the USA, we do like to chant "We are #1" -- #1 in overcharging. On a serious note, I wonder how much each of the following factors contribute to inflated construction costs in the USA: 1) Cost of providing health care and disability insurance for the workers vs these being covered by universal health care. 2) Cost of liability insurance for the contracting company and the government agency for protection from either suing the other. 3) Profit margin for the construction company.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Nov 18, 2020 10:58 pm 
Most of the cost of this improvement is going to be paid by REI and Facebook remember.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Nov 21, 2020 3:21 pm 
I’ve never been on the 520 trail, but I canoe below it often. I was there the day it opened. I might try to do a bike loop using both floating bridges.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSat Nov 21, 2020 9:37 pm 
<politics deleted by moderator>

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Nov 21, 2020 11:47 pm 
Joseph wrote:
First of all, comparing subway costs is not the same because we're talking about light rail here, not subways which entail different type of work
Sounds like you don't actually understand how "light rail" and "subways" are different. The construction projects listed involve both "light rail" and "subways" , but the cost factors are much much higher for USA based projects regardless of railtype.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Nov 22, 2020 4:52 am 
Any chance the moderators can keep joseph from turning this thread into a lie festival of banned partisan stupidity? TIA!

Damian

Damian
PostSun Nov 22, 2020 9:58 am 
Aw come on Sluggo. You need a thread lightener.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSun Nov 22, 2020 11:28 am 
Randito wrote:
Joseph wrote:
First of all, comparing subway costs is not the same because we're talking about light rail here, not subways which entail different type of work
Sounds like you don't actually understand how "light rail" and "subways" are different. The construction projects listed involve both "light rail" and "subways" , but the cost factors are much much higher for USA based projects regardless of railtype.
oh okay. Thanks for the correction. Then cf, my comments about being able to go back to the endless well of $$, i.e. the taxpayers or pass a fundraising levy or whatever.