Forum Index > Trip Reports > North Fork Mountain (West Virginia - Nov/21/2020)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Nov 22, 2020 6:43 pm 
Typically, I don't hike the weekend before Thanksgiving because we are planning to travel to Massachusetts, and I try to do some hiking in the Northeast. This year, we called off our trip due to the pandemic, so I decided to head to ole tried and trusted, West Virginia's North Fork Mountain, which has my favorite view in the mid-Atlantic. I had a specific photo in mind, one which I'd taken earlier in the year, but hadn't been totally happy with. It is, you guessed it, a 'selfie', but one in which I am a good distance from the camera. I wanted to get to my shooting location, the Chimney Top vista, around sunrise. The forecast was for overcast skies, and light rain for later in the day, but these conditions can yield some dramatic lighting, so I took a chance with an early start. I made good progress up the mountainside, despite the first 45min by headlamp, due to my familiarity with the trail. 15min shy of my destination, and still in the woods, I got a glimpse of the sunrise, but I could see even then that this was most likely going to be my one and only sight of that light in the sky. The sun was already disappearing behind a low cloud deck. I scrambled up to the Chimney Top summit block, and quickly set up my camera. Even though there wasn't much in the way of a sunrise, the low clouds were showing off a bit of color from filtered sunlight. To get into position for the photo, I had to scramble off the summit block and then back up a small rise, then trot through some woods, and finally scramble up atop a rock spire. In windy conditions I doubt I'd have done this, but there was just the barest hint of a breeze. I struck a nonchalant pose and fired off a bunch of shots using my remote shutter release. This is what I got:
I took my time enjoying the mountain in lonely splendor, eventually turning around to retrace my steps back to the car. Just because Thanksgiving got cancelled doesn't mean I still can't get to have some fun.
1- Sunrise
1- Sunrise
2- Rise!
2- Rise!
3- Brooding skies
3- Brooding skies
4- Bad weather to the west
4- Bad weather to the west
5- Cresting wave
5- Cresting wave
6- Looking back towards Chimney Top
1 label
6- Looking back towards Chimney Top
7- Prow
7- Prow
8- Tree line
8- Tree line
9- Life of a shrub
9- Life of a shrub

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostSun Nov 22, 2020 7:15 pm 
I wish we had a thumbs up button for your posts. I don't have anything particular to say other than wow! Thank you for posting!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Nov 22, 2020 10:42 pm 
It's cool how you keep seeking out these rocky ridge lines and also ledgy waterfalls. Keep it up!

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Nov 23, 2020 7:42 am 
A few words about photo #6. Right after I took that photo I clumsily dropped the transmitter for my remote shutter release. It fell at my feet, bounced, and then dropped into a 4in wide fissure in the rocks. When I looked into the crack, I realized that it was maybe 8-10ft deep, and ended at a tiny ledge. I have labelled the location of the ledge - not visible in the photo, since it's on the far side of a bend - on the picture. I looked down longingly into the crack, but there was no way down to it without a rope. (One look over the cliff edge and I hastily backed away.)

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat Nov 28, 2020 10:39 pm 
Great photos as always!! Thanks for sharing and glad you were able to get out!