Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Quarantine movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Oct 18, 2020 11:46 am 
I watched "Enola Holmes" last night on Netflix. Younger sister of Sherlock. Stars Millie Bobby Brown from "Stranger Things." It was a lot of fun. Based on a book. I would assume they are looking at franchising it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Oct 18, 2020 12:56 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I might be misremembering, but I think there was some reason to believe that each arm basically has its own "brain" and they could function or even behave very independently from each other.
This phenomenon is mentioned in the program. I guess you could say that the octopus "thinks by feeling", at least in part. Pretty cool. "Nature" (PBS) had a cool program on octopi a while back that was fascinating; no longer available to stream except for members. Then there's the amazing Inky, the escape artist. biggrin.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Oct 26, 2020 11:47 pm 
YouTube. NW connection is Otokichi. Kairei, 1983. Mostly in Japanese. A stylized, at best story of Otokichi. Don’t watch if you don’t have outline of his life, unless you’re a Japanese speaker. A novelty, Johnny Cash(!) plays HBC’s Vancouver Factor John McLoughlin. I think they spent $1.43 on his wig, at a Halloween store on Nov. 1st. I wondered if all the english speakers are so slow and stilted so Japanese with modest and better english skills can both listen and read the sub-titles. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Nov 16, 2020 5:58 pm 
bestest every virus quarantine movie is 'the omega man' with charlton heston only man to have the antivirus serum.. hospitals loaded with corpses and dead cities.....

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed Nov 25, 2020 9:45 am 
The reviews were not kind to Hillbilly Elegy on Netflix, but I found it gripping, if not uncomfortable at times, and I recommend you watch it for yourself. Themes of addiction, child abuse, poverty, and cultural elitism are at our doorstep and in our own families, not just in Appalachia. I need to read the book, which I hear, explores more of the struggle between one's family/culture vs. the outside world. Seems like a companion piece to Tara Westover's Educated. If you want a sampling of the negative reviews, click below. If not, as I said, watch it for yourself first to see what the conversation is about. https://www.vox.com/culture/21547862/hillbilly-elegy-netflix-explained-rural-vance

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 25, 2020 3:09 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
The reviews were not kind to Hillbilly Elegy on Netflix, but I found it gripping, if not uncomfortable at times, and I recommend you watch it for yourself. Themes of addiction, child abuse, poverty, and cultural elitism are at our doorstep and in our own families, not just in Appalachia. I need to read the book, which I hear, explores more of the struggle between one's family/culture vs. the outside world. Seems like a companion piece to Tara Westover's Educated. If you want a sampling of the negative reviews, click below. If not, as I said, watch it for yourself first to see what the conversation is about. https://www.vox.com/culture/21547862/hillbilly-elegy-netflix-explained-rural-vance
I read the book a couple years ago and can't remember much about it, but the movie, like most movies, didn't seem to be much like the book. The movie was more dramatic. There's another book out there that may even be referenced in Hillbilly Ellegy which is a better read. I have no idea of book title or author, but I read it also. I'm thinking it's author (who is dead) had a theory that men of Scottish, British, or Irish blood have a very nasty trait in common. They fantasize about killing humans. He claimed that no other group did that. His book had various chapters based on religion, work, education, guns, etc. Wish I could remember the title. Redneck something??? Dunno. I'll maybe google that.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Nov 27, 2020 8:05 am 
Let him go New Kevin Costner Diane Lane. Family strife, set in the 50's.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Jan 13, 2021 10:28 pm 
Gripped: Climbing the Killer Pillar A riveting documentary about how things can go wrong when inexperienced millennials go outdoors, Gripped follows Rose and Brett as they attempt to climb the "Killer Pillar," a multipitch slab that sometimes borders on the horizontal, either hundreds or dozens of feet tall depending on the scene, and located either by Mt. Whitney, or in Bishop, depending on whether you are paying attention to their guidebook or their backdrop. Rose, who is climbing outdoors on a rope for the second time ever, completes her character arc by learning to belay, lead, hand jam, and place trad gear on route as she heroically self rescues an injured Brett. (Think of it like the Sarah Connor arc of the original Terminator, if the Terminator had been a rock.) Featuring a plot that would be nonexistent if they had just been wearing helmets, tight close ups that obscure the fact that the entire movie was shot a few feet off the ground, dizzying editing of a variety of dissimilar rock faces that make no geographic sense as a climbing route, and some cribbed and composited shots down the Nose of El Capitan, Gripped has some of the best rock climbing committed to film since Vertical Limit. Ultimately, as the two characters bumble their way through the mountains, repeatedly hitting their heads and rolling down flat dirt slopes, Gripped is a raw demonstration that the future of human evolution is a life spent indoors. As Rose exclaims, "I'm not used to camping, or looking up at all of these stars!" The climbing community has been waiting for this masterpiece to be released ever since its crowdfunding trailer dropped two years ago. Epic!

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 8:13 pm 

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Jan 19, 2021 8:31 pm 
Does not appear to be nearly enough about the highly competitivea and technical route finding and going fast up steep slopes components of hiking.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Feb 21, 2021 5:36 pm 
Nomadland on Hulu. I heard it was the new "Grapes of Wrath". I just wasn't in the mood to get through the 2nd half. Although it was filmed in color, had the feel of B/W with beautiful moody views of the SW. Kind of a docu-drama, no grins here. Though just might end up winning awards, not my cup of tea today. hmmm.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Feb 21, 2021 5:53 pm 
Also saw Nomadland on Hulu interesting and I like Macdormand. As we used to say a movie to cut your wrists by. Very low key and somewhat depressing. In a similar jugular vein I saw the 1951 version of Native Son probably the most famous black novel. Due to it controversial nature it was filmed in Argentina by a French director. The author of the novel played the lead. Sounds intriguing, but the author Clark was a terrible actor. This version was filmed as a noir crime film. A fair amount of the political nature was included but the courtroom scene was not done well. The novel has been filmed two more times in 1983 and 2015 I believe. All were unfortunate in one way or another.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Mar 08, 2021 10:32 pm 
Red Dot, Swedish film about a snow camping trip gone very wrong Netflix. meh

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Mar 11, 2021 10:51 pm 
Captain Fantastic, 2016 Netflix interesting film won the best film award at SIFF 2016, lots o scenes in the North Cascades Shuksen of course. A reminder of how many of us once were. Strong start a bit sappy at end ****.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Mar 11, 2021 11:13 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Captain Fantastic, 2016 Netflix interesting film won the best film award at SIFF 2016, lots o scenes in the North Cascades Shuksen of course. A reminder of how many of us once were. Strong start a bit sappy at end ****.
Unlike when "The Deer Hunter" shot in the same area, they weren't pretending it was Pennsylvania or upstate New York or something crazy like that. Yeah, some great scenery early in the film. Maybe some stuff along Hwy 2? That little store they went into, and the climbing scenes, could that have been Index Town Wall? It had its flaws, but I really enjoyed it. The various young actors that played the kids did a good job. The 2 oldest sisters actually look like they really could be sisters. The unique funeral scene near the end was interesting.