Forum Index > Trail Talk > Please recommend early season snowshoeing or snow camping trips.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kpflynn

kpflynn
PostSun Nov 08, 2020 10:50 pm 
Does anyone have a good tutorial on building a snow cave for camping?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostWed Nov 25, 2020 7:27 pm 
I use the "T" method. I thought it was called the "Jensen" methods, but I'm not finding anything when I google that now. Here's a link to a YouTube video on the T method. In my experience, the T method helps keep you dryer than tunneling. I disagree with the video creator about compromising warmth. If you close the top of the T properly you will stay warm. You can also partially block the opening with a poncho or tarp. I didn't watch the whole YouTube video, but I like to make sure the roof is a smooth dome to prevent drips. A small hole in the roof created with a trekking pole with the basket removed will give you all the airflow you need for ventilation. By the way, my son and I ended up going on a day hike to Mason Lake last Thursday. We might try for another day trip before he heads to Guam.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Nov 25, 2020 7:43 pm 
Neoprene "scuba" gloves are useful for digging a snow cave. In any event you'll want a completely different pair of gloves for digging vs everything else as they will get wet. You'll also want a jacket and pants with a very high degree of water resistance/ snow shedding. Digging a cave or building any sort of snow shelter takes quite a bit more time and effort than using a 4 season tent. So bring a strong headlamp and extra batteries, so you don't have to setup camp starting @ 2 in order to get it finished before dark.

Dante

Dante
PostWed Nov 25, 2020 7:48 pm 
Neoprene gloves are a great idea! I'll have to try that next time. Now that I'm over 50, I find my fingers get cold much easier than they used to.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Nov 25, 2020 9:23 pm 
Dante, that YouTube video was excellent! Very informative, thanks for sharing. Looked like they hacked a few live branches for their fire at the end there though. confused.gif

Dante

Dante
PostThu Nov 26, 2020 8:15 am 
I definitely don’t condone that! I only watched enough of that video to confirm the creator used the same method that I use. I used to just tunnel in before, but the T method keeps me much dryer and warmer. It also makes it easier for two or more people to work together as a team and dig faster. By the way, if there’s enough snow, I like to makes the vertical part of the T deeper than they did in the video, so the “shelves” are about chest high. That allows you to stand up as you work. You can always lower the outside portion of the shelves when you close the front to make the top of the entrance lower than the sleeping shelves to help the cave retain heat. I’m still a little frustrated that I couldn’t find the PDF file I wanted to share.

asdf

asdf
PostFri Nov 27, 2020 11:55 am 
Fun fact. The lowest ever recorded temperature in Guam was 65 degrees, back in '73. Yes, better to take him out in the snow before his deployment there rather than after lol.gif