Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Them counter top convection cooker oven things
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 1:43 pm 
Anybody got one? I'm thinking about buying one because I hate my conventional oven and most of the time, am heating a monster oven up for a few veggie tots. Takes longer to heat it up than to cook. Watched a video that had a guy cooking in one (not sponsored by the cooker) and it looked handy except it was tripping the breaker in his old house.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 1:55 pm 
Just got an air fryer lid for the instant pot, if that's what you mean. Roasted cauliflower in 12 minutes. Supposedly it dehydrates too. Jury is still out - really loud, doesn't hold much, and easy to burn yourself. Tofu will be the real test; if successful will allow retirement of the evil Fry Daddy. (Update: just clocked it at 1400W, so yeah I can see that helping to trip an old breaker in a busy kitchen.) For toaster ovens I've been happy with the panasonic infrared dealy, but it doesn't do convection. For baked sweet potatoes, you simply can't beat 3 hours at 275F in a conventional oven.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 2:22 pm 
This is what the youtube guy cooked his turkey breast in. Nuwave Only there is a different and more spendy model that heats from the bottom also and sounds like it might be the one to get. It has a higher temperature capability.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 7:12 pm 
My wife picked up one a couple months ago. It does a great job with corn on the cob. Works well for pre-cooked frozen snacks, such as tater tots and onion rings. Looks like a couple baking potatoes would fit in the bin. No popped breakers yet.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 8:51 pm 
They seem to be quite popular as they are now sold out. Maybe after the holidays...

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 8:58 pm 

MtnManic

MtnManic
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 10:24 pm 
I love my Breville - I honestly have not used my oven except once in 20+ years.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostMon Nov 30, 2020 10:56 pm 
I also got a Breville. About a year ago, and haven't used the big oven since. I think it was worth getting the large size. I got lucky and got $100 off on sale. There seemed to be a noticeable drop in durability/quality of the machine at the lower price points. Just small enough to still fit comfortably on the countertop.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Dec 01, 2020 11:45 pm 
Air fryers have RISEN TO POWER in the cooking scene!!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 02, 2020 9:46 am 
Seems like a tool optimised for heating frozen convenience foods. See this thread for more: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1202657#1202657

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Dec 04, 2020 11:16 am 
We have one of these, which seems to be what you're looking for. Really great and fast (no preheating necessary) for cooking small things, like fish sticks or tater tots for my kids. My complaint about it is that it's not that good at plain toasting. The toast come out very uneven.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 04, 2020 5:41 pm 
Randito wrote:
Seems like a tool optimised for heating frozen convenience foods. See this thread for more: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1202657#1202657
Uh nooo. Perhaps that's what you eat, but I don't.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostFri Dec 18, 2020 11:25 am 
Heh. My wife just got an air fryer from work. They got a fancy catalogue to choose what ever they want, but everybody picked the airfryer. Only tried it on bacon and French fries so far, but it worked pretty good. My favorite kitchen gadget is the sous vide wand. I think we use it more then anything but still usually finish on the grill or something.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 18, 2020 12:51 pm 
I'm thinking veggie tots. They take a high temperature to cook so I'm waiting for the Elite version of convection oven. It feels wasteful to heat up a full size oven for five veggie tots.

tinman

tinman
PostFri Dec 18, 2020 1:45 pm 
I made some zucchini fries in my foodi cooker using the air fryer and they came out great.

Wherever you go, there you are.......