Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Should Covid 19 vaccine be mandatory
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Dec 02, 2020 10:31 pm 
asdf wrote:
The virus is killing barely anyone who isn't older or sicker. Every death is a tragedy, but the young and healthy have basically nothing to worry about.
Washington Post wrote:
The vaccines could begin to be distributed as soon as mid-December to those in high-risk groups — an estimated 200 million [Americans] — who will receive priority, according to a framework devised by an advisory committee to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Government officials said that if both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are authorized, they anticipate having enough doses for 20 million people by year’s end. https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/11/17/covid-vaccines-what-you-need-to-know/?arc404=true
72% of American adults are overweight. (CDC) 30 million Americans are diabetic, 85 million are prediabetic. (NIH) 52 million Americans are 65 or older. (Census) No, this isn't something that affects almost nobody except those three people who had it coming anyway. rolleyes.gif When you say young people have nothing to worry about, you're ignoring a lot of harm that young people should worry about. They can die from covid, for one thing. Or wind up with crippling debt to the hospital that treated them for covid. They can pass the virus on to others, killing beloved family members or strangers.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Dec 02, 2020 11:02 pm 
Kind of a pointless discussion really, since everyone has their own opinion on the subject and their opinion is not likely to change.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Dec 02, 2020 11:38 pm 
I rose to power on the internet by changing peoples minds on the comment threads!!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 02, 2020 11:44 pm 
this tune will likely change when employers make it a requirement for their employees to be vaccinated. those who don't want to go along with it can of course seek legal recourse while they're unemployed, which will be an interesting show to watch. can't wait.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Dec 03, 2020 1:00 am 
One statistic I would like to see is the number of survivors who suffer some form of debilitating long-term effect from COVID. Lots of stories of people with scarred lungs, amputations from clotting, and other maladies that prevent them from returning to normal life, but I've yet to see any actual statistics on that. It's not just death that you need to worry about with this thing. Yet I'm also concerned about potential long-term side effects from the vaccines. There is no way to know if there will be a significant percentage of people who end up with some kind of unanticipated side effect from them. That will take years to figure out, and by then it will be too late. Lots of questions, not many answers yet.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Dec 03, 2020 1:13 am 
^ good points, Sir Bedivere. as to the long term damage: Several months ago in Italy, a group of four young men who were recreational scuba divers all caught Covid-19. They all self-quarantined, recovered, and were then examined by physicians. None of them will ever be able to dive again due to the lung damage they suffered. These were young men who were buffed out, in perfect health, prior to contracting the virus. The unforeseen consequences of a vaccine about which we know nothing does indeed raise a daunting question.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Dec 03, 2020 1:34 am 
Bedivere wrote:
One statistic I would like to see is the number of survivors who suffer some form of debilitating long-term effect from COVID. Lots of stories of people with scarred lungs, amputations from clotting, and other maladies that prevent them from returning to normal life, but I've yet to see any actual statistics on that. It's not just death that you need to worry about with this thing. Yet I'm also concerned about potential long-term side effects from the vaccines. There is no way to know if there will be a significant percentage of people who end up with some kind of unanticipated side effect from them. That will take years to figure out, and by then it will be too late. Lots of questions, not many answers yet.
I agree completely. People in our age group, occupation and level of health will have wait for quite a while before a vaccine is available to us, but as you mentioned, I also worry about potential long term side effects. Everything comes with a price.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RichP

RichP
PostThu Dec 03, 2020 4:53 am 
Young, healthy and asymptomatic people can spread the virus unwittingly to others who are more vulnerable. That is why it's important for all of us to get the vaccine. There was skepticism even with the polio vaccine. Elvis was recruited in an ad campaign to convince young people to get vaccinated. https://www.neh.gov/article/elvis-presley-set-example-getting-his-polio-vaccination I plan to get it as soon as it's available.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 03, 2020 7:26 am 
RichP wrote:
Young, healthy and asymptomatic people can spread the virus unwittingly to others who are more vulnerable. That is why it's important for all of us to get the vaccine. There was skepticism even with the polio vaccine. Elvis was recruited in an ad campaign to convince young people to get vaccinated. https://www.neh.gov/article/elvis-presley-set-example-getting-his-polio-vaccination I plan to get it as soon as it's available.
Elvis showed leadership, and was probably paid for it. Nevertheless, folks understood that concept then. We don't see it now when governors and mayors and...are going against what they are telling the other folks to do. Leaders are rare. What terrifies me about Covid isn't death. It's the medical bills. I have good insurance, but it doesn't cover everything. Then there's the after effects, which have been mentioned and the pain and depression if you become a Long Hauler--which are those people who are sick and have been sick for months after coming down with Covid. Sometimes the flu vaccine makes me feel achy the next day. This year my arm felt like it had been kicked by a horse the next day. I guess I can handle more of that from the Covid shot. I'll do it if it means we can start doing regular activities again.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Dec 03, 2020 8:36 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
this is not China....yet
We don't have to let them be better than us. We could get there too with a shared sense of purpose: "Germany was the euro zone’s powerhouse, while in Asia Chinese factory activity accelerated at the fastest pace in a decade, energizing regional growth and a sign the world’s second-largest economy is rebounding to pre-pandemic levels." (Reuters, December 1)

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
gb

gb
PostThu Dec 03, 2020 9:16 am 
Bedivere wrote:
60 minutes: Longhaulers who have debilitating longterm effects from Covid include many young. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/icymi-60-minutes-covid-19-school-enrollment-90-plus-study-2020-11-23/

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Dec 03, 2020 11:51 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
Don't require it, but allow schools and businesses to decide whether they'd like to allow the unvaccinated in. Most won't, they won't want to risk being sued.
That won't likely happen, this is not China....yet.
Funny but I remember back in 1968 or there abouts (the good old "again" days of full freedom?) being lined up in the hallways of Queen Bee elementary school getting blasted in the arm with some type of "gun" like gizmo. Don't recall now what it was we were ALL being vaccinated for but all the students were there. So we've already been there, done that.
Sculpin wrote:
We don't have to let them be better than us. We could get there too with a shared sense of purpose:
The propensity of our culture to be "every man for himself" is being used to destroy us.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 03, 2020 12:43 pm 
Yah, we stood in a massive line in a school gym to get a sugar cube with the polio vaccine? on it. I don't remember much about it other than it seemed pretty miserly to only get a sugar cube after standing in line ….. forever (in in my kid sense of time).

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 03, 2020 1:43 pm 
What I remember about shot day is all the bullies would be running around punching everyone in the arm. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 03, 2020 1:47 pm 
Locked for pseudo politics. I know we're being fairly militant about this as of late but don't see generic COVID discussion fostering community here.