Forum Index > Gear Talk > Looking for recommendations for 2-3 quart pot
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Dec 04, 2020 3:44 pm 
[Edited to modify size needed] I'm looking for a reasonably light (aluminum is fine, doesn't need to be titanium) pot for cooking meals for 3 hungry hikers. Should have a built in handle (preferably the flip-over or flip-around style, rather than pail style). Used sometimes to actually cook, rather than just heat water. Should be about 2-3 quarts. Any ideas?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Downhill

Downhill
PostSat Dec 05, 2020 9:49 pm 
I have a number of cooksets from ultra-light ti or Al, but for the past few years, I have been using a set by GSI Outdoors. It's "halulite" aka anodize Al. It has a nice, easy to clean surface, heats well and relatively light. But why it's become my most popular go-to is the functionality of the sets - the optimal size, plus the fit and function of the lids and handles. The flip handle seals the lid tight enough for hauling water back to camp with nearly no spilling. The one I use most often is the 1.7L but I am sure you can find one that is suitable for larger applications. GSI Outdoors Cook Sets

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Dec 07, 2020 1:05 pm 
Thanks Downhill I do like GSI products, so I'll check it out!

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Dec 16, 2020 12:03 pm 
I've used pots this size and larger cooking on scouting outings. The MSR 2.5 Liter AL Ceramic is a nice option at $55 A really stable stove setup is a must, spilling a large pot of scalding water would be scary. I would suggest a fuel canister stabilizer and a stove with a wider strong support like the snow peak giga-power. I've used my pocket rocket; but greatly preferred using a snow peak for larger heavier pots.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Dec 17, 2020 2:18 pm 
InFlight: Coincidentally, the MSR 2.5 liter ceramic pot is the one I settled on. And even more coincidentally, this request originated as a result of a bad experience where a pail-style pot (super light, but that was it's one and only advantage) with a smooth bottom slid right off my stove as it started simmering due to the vibrations and lack of traction and spilled on the ground as my sons and I watched helplessly! We managed to salvage about half of it, but it was still hard to watch! And I do use a triangular stabilizer for the fuel canister to keep it from tipping for the very reason you mention.