Forum Index > Support & Feedback > How to include images in your posts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Nov 11, 2018 2:56 pm 
Sorry, I should have been more specific. It's not super obvious/intuitive. After you log in, click on the camera icon at the top right of the page, and in the drop-down, select "Settings". From there, go to "Privacy & Permissions" and then hit the edit button on the right on the "Hiding from public search" section, and once you're in there, make sure that the box next to "Hide your photos from searches on 3rd party sites" is un-clicked. I'm not a big fan of social media-sharing-anything, so you might want to spend some time on all the account pages to make sure you have the privacy level that you want.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Nov 11, 2018 3:58 pm 
rhughes wrote:
Tom, I really hate to bother you with this but I've been trying to get an image inserted in the message shown below for an hour using both flickr and Google photos with no luck. Below is the text of the message that I am trying to post. I followed the instructions in How to post an image and entered: google and the photo URL from google in the top line; flickr and my login for a flickr photo. The URL of the image is: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qmUtuhrARs53MU3FA Could you be so kind as to point out my error. Thanks.
Are you having problems inserting the image? All you have to do to insert the image is: (1) paste that link in the box to the left of the "pics" button (2) select google photos (instead of flickr) in the drop down (3) click on the "pics" button See image below. The rest should be self explanatory.

lovetowonder

lovetowonder
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 6:00 pm 
Can anyone give me some insight on how to upload videos from googephotos? I have no trouble with still images but my attempts at uploading videos are failing so far.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 7:48 pm 
I would suggest YouTube. I don't know if there's any good way to embed videos for Google photos unless they provide embed code.

lovetowonder

lovetowonder
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 8:02 pm 
Okay. Thank you!

blendergasket

blendergasket
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 12:26 pm 
test

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus
jantare

jantare
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 6:05 pm 
Test

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Jul 15, 2020 3:02 pm 
C:\Users\Andrea\Dad's stuff\Gate\Crop tool error .jpg

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
YoDutch

YoDutch
PostWed Sep 23, 2020 9:20 pm 
Nubie Testing 1-2-3: linking from Dropbox
approaching top of Vista Ridge
approaching top of Vista Ridge

neek

neek
PostFri Oct 02, 2020 6:36 am 
Hey Tom - I thought I was doing nwhikers a favor by hosting my own images, but just realized that even for the lightbox (not just thumbs) you're copying them to /forums/uploads (and potentially downscaling) whether or not they're wider than 1600 pixels. I don't see this happening for flickr or google, probably because they take scaling parameters. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this - should I move from S3/Cloudfront back to google photos? Or would you consider just linking to originals (and have users deal with browser scaling if posters don't size them correctly)? Not sure how many people flip through the lightbox, but I hate to consume any unnecessary bandwidth.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 02, 2020 1:15 pm 
We preserve a copy of everything now, scaled as appropriate if the image is too big to display. There is a link to the original source in the lightbox but we are displaying the copy. There is no need to keep hosting your images unless you want the original size preserved. We did this because so many images had disappeared over the years and then in 2018 flickr was threatening to delete photos unless folks paid their ransom, which would have be catastrophic for NWH. The images are hosted on a different server (nwhikers.org) as we do not have the storage capacity on our main server (nwhikers.net).

neek

neek
PostFri Oct 02, 2020 1:54 pm 
Oh, duh. Thanks for hosting what must be a big chunk of data. By serving my own I was also hoping to get around the 1600 limit, since they're so small on a hi res display. (Presumably most people don't "view original", or even pull up the lightbox.) But now I see why it makes sense to have this limit.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 8:19 pm 
Are we able to post gifs? I can post a link to a gif that works, but I am wondering if we have the ability to post a gif so that it shows up without having to click on a link. Thanks, ~z

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Dec 09, 2020 11:06 pm 
Yes

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Dec 10, 2020 8:31 am 
Tom wrote:
Yes
Great. Could someone please tell me how to do it? When I post the link it appears as a link, not as an image of a gif. (I may not be speaking in correct I.T. terminology.) Or maybe post a link to the procedure? I did a search of Support looking for "gif" and didn't see anything. That result seemed odd, so I must have not done the search correctly. Thanks, ~z