Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge - maybe not
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Dec 10, 2020 11:16 pm 
^ when one out of four people in this country are doing business with BoA in some fashion or another, it's doubtful any decision they might make on this issue would have any significant effect on their bottom line. as to the "$5.00 a gallon gas vs. drill baby drill" part, you are correct: it is not a binary choice.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian R

Brian R
PostFri Dec 11, 2020 12:41 am 
Agree with you Ski. But we are the oil company. And the bank. They exist because we buy their gas and borrow their money*. We need them and we created them. In part, maybe, to insulate and absolve us from the true cost of our needs and desires. A famous guy once shouted out 'Who killed the Kennedys!'

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Dec 11, 2020 1:06 am 
Brian R wrote:
A famous guy once shouted out 'Who killed the Kennedys!'
The next line in that song being "Well after all it was you and me." But neither you or I are on the board of directors of either BoA or any of the big oil companies, and I'm certainly not a stockholder, nor did I contribute in any way to their creation, any more than I had a part in killing off the buffalo on the Great Plains. All that aside, I just don't see how it would really impact BoA's bottom line either way, and there are simply too many people who owe them money for those who don't to make any difference. Perhaps it's just the jaded prism through which I view the world, but I see it strictly as a PR move by their marketing department.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Jun 01, 2021 1:53 pm 
The Biden administration plans to suspend Arctic drilling leases issued during the last days of Trump’s term https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/01/us/politics/biden-drilling.html

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jun 01, 2021 5:28 pm 
up.gif

Gregory

Gregory
PostFri Jun 04, 2021 7:38 am 

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Jun 04, 2021 9:23 am 
only 14% of a barrel of crude goes into producing clothing/medical/plastics - still not great but a drop in the bucket compared to the consumption in the transportation/energy production fields. Those can be supplemented with cleaner alternatives. A drop in total usage of only 20% would be a great step forward. Its not all or nothing, despite what the talking heads try to imply...but as we now know "no reasonable person would believe what they say".

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.